Gap between stem and headset

2468Simon

Retro Newbie
Ive installed a 1" bullmoose stem/bar combo into my headset which i'm sure is 1" not 1"1/8. As the bars which came out are 22.2 and the bike's from the mid eighties I believe. The gap is no where near as bad as the photo suggests due to the reflection back on itself but my question is would/should I shim it out or leave as is?

The stem does have a lot of weight on it although its not at its limit. The bars also do not turn when I try with legs between wheel so everything tight and no major flex.

Anyone had this issue before?

Any advice much appreciated,

Attachments

• IMG_1736.JPG
    IMG_1736.JPG
    10.4 KB · Views: 524
Re:

The stem that you removed from your 80's mtb would have been 22.2mm dia. as you said

The only way that your 'new' stem would be a poor fit in the existing headset is that you have
bought a BMX stem/bars by mistake. A BMX stem is nominally 21.15mm dia. so you are looking
at a 0.5mm gap all round the stem

For further info on stem sizes check out Sheldon Brown

Whether you need to shim your stem is another matter, it would depend to some extent on the depth
of insertion available. I would suggest that you ride the bike and check out how the bars feel when
under load, though to be honest if the bike was mine I would fit a period correct stem that would fit properly

Back