anyone got a fork threading tool

themountie

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi guys i have bought some rock shox indys with a 1 inch steerer with quite a long steering tube i need to cut it down and rethread the tube

Re:

Yip. 1" 20 tph. There are two types available , you would only need the more expensive one if you were cutting threads in to a new steerer. The cheaper one is fine just for extending existing threads. You would need a die holder too. Unless you are going to do a few why wouldn't you just get a half decent bike shop to do it?

Re:

why wouldn't you just get a half decent bike shop to do it?

Unless you happen to live near a decent, and long established, shop that can be easier said than done. I tried 4 in my town, none of them had the required tool and a couple of shops had no real idea what I was talking about when I explained what I wanted, clearly they're knowledge of bicycles was limited to just assembling what arrives in the boxes.

You have 4 Halfords in your town?

Tracy Tools is just 6 miles from me. I've bought 1/2" and 9/16" LH and RH taps from them - very helpful.

Re:

You have 4 Halfords in your town?

No, just one and I didn't even bother trying them.

A couple of have closed since, but at the time there were 5 bicycle shops within about 2 miles and a Halfords.

Two shops sold really cheap BSOs, children's bicycles, skateboards and scooters, they had no idea what I was talking about, purely assemblers and box movers. Both have since closed.

One shop sells some decent bicycles in addition to wet suits, windsurfing and kite surfing stuff. The staff all had very trendy haircuts, but weren't very knowledgeable regards bicycles.

One was a proper bicycle shop, some nice bicycles but a fairly limited selection of clothes, spares and components, however, it was a fairly new shop and I don't think they were interested in repairs and maintenance, and certainly not in older bicycles.

The last shop may well have had what I wanted, but I refuse to go in there. When I was a teenager, I was a member of a cycling club, I used to do time trials and go on group rides at the weekend. As such I was covering a fair few miles and always buying spares, tyres and tubes. The guy in this shop was so rude that I would go miles out of my way rather than give him my money and I vowed never to go in there again. He's still there and I've stuck to my vow and haven't set foot in his shop in over 30 years.

Back