Touring Fork suggestions for MTB? Surly LHT, Thorn Mt Tura.

bigwheelz

Dirt Disciple
I am looking to convert my Team Marin to a touring bike. I want to switch from my shocks to a 26" touring fork. I know of the Surly and the Thorn brands. Does anyone have experience with these forks or suggestions of another? Any idea on which will take wider tyres? Thanks in advance!

Thorn stuff is good, they'll have a generous amount of trail/rake resulting in slower more stable steering for day-long dependability plus greater stability with fr end luggage - Low riders & barbags etc.

Kona P2 is good also, I use a stock Marin rigid fork though.
Just one word of warning, the lower-end Marins make perhaps better tourers because they are shorter in the top tube and give a more relaxed riding position. Their heavier frames are also a bit stiffer for lugging panniers. What makes a joyous zingy frame unladen can be irritatingly flexy and squirmy when loaded up with panniers.

Re:

I know the Surly LHT fork accepts up to 2.1" tires (it says on their website), which is plenty for touring. If you want to go wider, the 2017 Surly Troll is now not suspension-corrected, and I think those take up to 2.7" tires.

Both forks, Surly and Thorn, are pretty good, but I also find them a bit expensive. If you don't plan to use front racks, there are plenty of no-brand cheaper models that will do the job for about 30-40 EUR. If you need front rack eyelets, then the models you mention are pretty fit for the purpose.

Back