Look Mi90 - Barn find.

mechagouki

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
So the term "barn-find" gets used a lot these days to describe any old thing that's been forgotten about in storage, but the bike in the pictures below has spent most of the last 2 decades in an actual barn way out in the countryside in rural Ontario. I just drove out to collect it this morning and you can see there is still straw on it from aforementioned barn.

So the good: It's a Look Mi90, somewhat rare I believe. Aluminum lugs with carbon fibre wrapped Easton C9 tubes, and I thought these were made by Alan in france, but it has a "handmade in USA" decal on the non-drive chainstay. Campagnolo cranks, rings pedals, cantis and levers are all OEM I assume.

The bad: some chips in the clear coat on the top tube, campy shifters are gone (I know they didn't work, but would have been nice to have them) along with rear der. Replacements are STX RC derailleur and awful Gripshift SRT600s, front der. is M735 XT unit - I'm guessing a replacement? Original fork is missing, replaced with some POS suspension fork which is f-ing with the geometry. Everything really dirty and covered with straw! Big "comfy" saddle.

Plans: full strip, considerate rebuild, probably throw some XT thumbies and rear derailleur on it, rigid fork obviously, any advice or opinions gratefully received.

IMG_1162_zpsbyrbawun.jpg

IMG_1163_zpsh2ewbrsn.jpg

IMG_1164_zpsb4yjf0ij.jpg

IMG_1167_zpsnlra0nje.jpg

IMG_1165_zpsyeuyalgo.jpg

IMG_1166_zpsxs2ljqsk.jpg

Paid $20 for it by the way, previous owner just wanted it gone.

It may have had the Bullet shifters which were not that great

Frame looks identical to the Peter Grisley Glacier by Look. That might be a source for good forks.

Re:

Thanks for the info Dudes, indeed you are correct, frame was made by Easton under the Reflex brand, sold as Peugeot/Look/Grisley (Grisley used aluminum only tubes, Look and Peugeot were carbon wrapped).

Seems like Mag 21 would be a good fork choice?

Lovely!
From the era of when bikes just looked right.
I've always loved the mix of materials a la Look, Peugeot, Reflex, Dyna-Tech etc.
I think this will be a terrific build andvwish I'd be so lucky.
Got to have Mag 21s up from, though I'd love to see what it looked like with some Pace Carbons.......wrong maybe.....but might look the part.
Best of luck and I look forward to seeing it finished (and the updates).

Back