Stick Legs

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hi,

Cannondale 3.0 Series M1000.
Shimano Deore DX MT60 triple chainset.

Using a BB-UN-52, 68mm shell.
I'm guessing 115mm unless anyone knows better please.

Thank you.

I'm also going with this set up once I receive my frame back from being painted. Could you let me know which length you end up with?

The tubing is thicker on an Alu frame.
MT60 is commonly given 122.5mm as the spacing to use, as the cranks have a low Q-factor (i.e very straight and low profile) otherwise the crank will/may contact the chainstay, and there's also the risk of a large outer chainring contacting the chainstay, either static or under load.

I've got a CAAD2 running low-Q cranks and it's very happy with a 110(!).
Currently running MT60's on a Zaskar with a 118mm and likewise on a Cadex CFM2 (that one's 73mm shell though). Have also run MT60's on a Saracen, a Carrera (both steel) and a Peugeot (alu) all with 115mm BB.
The CFM2 I can't run anything more than a 34T middle ring though, as the cranks are too far inboard, but I run that as a 1x9 anyway.
Tried the MT60's on a Giant MCM too, and that needed 122.5 as the cranks were otherwise hitting the chainstays.
I found 122.5 length waaay to flexy though, hence using 115/118 BB's on other bikes.
Given the tubing profiles on the Cannondale, I'd suggest 115 or 118mm should work, 110 really is a bit close!

The other thing to take into account is not just the BB fitment, but the pedal position - with a low-Q crankset, a short BB axle moves the pedals inboard too, definitely something to look at if using clipless pedals, but worth considering even when using flats. Depends whether you're a pedaller or a stomper, and hip/leg muscle use as well.

Re:

Sorry but I disagree. I would go with the size the manufacturer recommends for the the crank which is what sheldon brown lists. I have 6 cannondales including an M1000 in the garage all have the manufacturers recommended bottom bracket size.

The correct bottom bracket gives plenty of clearance on the chainstays.

Back