Failure?

02gf74

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Excluding punctures or split tyres, what was your last bike related failure?

Have say im struggling to remember mine but think it was inner cable for front mech wearing away at the clamp, a stick to hold mech so chain was on middle chain ring got me home. Not particularly spectacular but some of you should top that.

Rts frame cracking at the b/b , I- drive eating it's mech , upside was I found they make a great singlespeed

Biggest issue of late is the mice in the shed eating my Baja grips

Mike

A French 3mm bolt threading itself losing the shifters off a Vitus in 2010 and a badly joined chain splitting in 2011.

Very little RB related but pre RB, 2006, my Topline left crankarm fell off and my then 11 year old Hope rear hub shot its flange...

cracked seat clamp on my Brodie is the latest on the list:-(

But the list is long: broken van Herwerden low pro frame, straight through the headset/downtube lug, cracked Principia 650 frame where the seatstays meet the seattube, broken chains, broken saddle, busted rims, brake failing while riding (auch), lights having short circuit while riding, hub flanges breaking (Hügi, Syncros), bent chainrings, clamp of syncros seatpost breaking, sudden loss of suspension on my lefty......

Re:

last year:
1. Snapped chain and 20km from home. Used a Stone and small pliers I luckyly had with me to fix it. It held together as long as I did not put too much pressure on the pedals. Limped home like that.
2. Found a nice old shoe-nail on my favourite trail. Forgot to take my spare parts and pump. So 7 kilometeres me jogging back home...

3. A few days later, the dampening cartridge of my Judys popped open while decending. Made it home with much more "boing" up front.

4. Same again on holiday in the italian alps (tremalzo pass) Thats when I decided to not use those old judy plastic cartridge dampeners any more.

And finally my back failed at the end of last summer. :facepalm:

Re:

I don't ride enough anymore to wear things out, last one that really sticks out 2006 snapped a Syncros left crank arm clean in two :( still got the bits in my spares box......

Re: Re:

kermitgreenkona88":2w2eea2w said:
I don't ride enough anymore to wear things out, last one that really sticks out 2006 snapped a Syncros left crank arm clean in two :( still got the bits in my spares box......

you need this, it'll fix it right up

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fym9vieleZ8[/youtube]

Maybe I'm unlucky...

Snapped a new (well, 60km old) KMC chain on my Pace. Just before that, the front plate on the same bike's Ringlé Zooka cracked -- fortunately while sitting in the barn rather than out on the trail.

Before that, I managed to crack both rims and shear the pivot on my Brompton riding over a badly repaired bit of road around Parliament Square. Can't blame that on old kit!

Before that? Hmm, might have to go all the way back to the mid 90s when I sheared the headtube off a Marin Pine Mountain while taking a jump in the Forest of Dean. Oh, and cracked two ribs too!

Cracked a fork crown on my old full sus RSP (would be about 2000ish) this was the bike I had to replace my P7. Same bike ate the rear mech, 2 rear wheels and finally twisted the swing arm with a hefty crash. The P7 was brought out again and still fine.

Scott Scale lasted 3 years, cracked the head tube in 2 places around the bottom at S-I-S 2011. Luckily I had the P7 with me too! This bike also hosted my first chain break under power!

Kinesis Maxlight lasted 5 years, cracked head tube at the top. Noticed after a loud sound on a rocky Peak District decent. Cant think how this happened, I'm older, slower and lost the bottle for the bigger stuff. I really am thinking bout giving up this modern stuff!

Back