Check those skewers

dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Had a pair of ebay bought hubs arrive the other day. Rear was complete with a skewer fitted.(hope skewer/hub)
Went to undo the end cap, which i did but withdrawing it from the hub turned into a No No :facepalm:
I've had in the past, hope skewers that have become permanent fixtures in hubs and its usually the end of the axle and skewer, but i had a little play on this one so i though i'd see if i could withdraw it.
Much toing and froing and i finally managed to drift, pull using a puller and get the darn thing out
Hooray :D
Its clear that corrosion in the form of rust, and oxide from the inside of the axle made the middle of the skewer effectively bulge :?

So, what i want everyone to do today, or this eve, is to go and undo any skewers you have. Slide out out, grease it, and slide it back in again.

Im quite a practical guy, and have a myriad of tools and jigs available for about any job, but that skewer took me a good half hour to withdraw it, and as such I reckon many would seriously struggle or fail totally. Which itself can be a bit depressing :cry:

So to save your sanity, go check those skewers and give them a wipe.

Its a bit like seatosts. You set it and it more or less stays at that level without being removed to regrease or whatever. And we all know the seatpost pain :(

Good tip.

I swipe a skim of grease on skewers each time the hub is serviced. Learned the hard way many moons ago.

J

dyna-ti":34n58e6d said:
Slide out out, grease it, and slide it back in again.

Just asked the Mrs to help me with this, will let you know how it goes... :eek:

Never had an issue with rust to that extent on the quick release skewer, had problems removing a few bent skewers in the past though.
Another reason why Titanium is the wonder metal :cool:

Back