Unexplained brake rub on 1st gen Crossmax

Fatal Swan

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
....now explained, 3 rides later :facepalm: A bit ashamed it took me that time to figure it out. Not sure how this happened but I've always hated those plastic Mavic rim tapes!

Attachments

• IMG_20160725_174457 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_20160725_174457 (Custom).jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 385
That's why I switched to using Velocity "Veloplugs" instead of rim tape. Lighter than rim tape and you can switch out individual spokes super easy (not that you'll need that very often).

I looked at velo plugs as part of weight weenie excercise, they may be light but how much!!!????!?

Ive successfully use 25mm squares of cloth based carpet tape to cover spoke holes without any problems. Much lighter and cheaper but takes a bit of time to cut and fit.

Anyway back to topic, presumably this was bad fitting as opposed to rim tape moving?

And if you had disc brakes this wouldnt be an issue.

The offending plastic rim tape (it was Michelin branded) has now gone. No idea what caused it - as far as I know that stuff is factory fitted and can't really be removed and reinstalled. Can't figure out how it got burped out of the rim!

It's been replaced with good old Scotch strapping tape (https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Reinforce ... 00004Z4BC/) - one of a handful of weight weenie-approved rim tape options (3-4g a layer, I do 2 layers for safety), and probably the cheapest too!

Back