Retro kona build advice - Brake cable casing.

RoscoP_co

Dirt Disciple
Hi everyone, After being a silent forum member for years, I have been inspired to rebuild my old 1993 Kona Lavadome. There is only a few issues I have came across. Can anyone tell me what 'brake cable casing' goes across the top tube from the brake guide housing/mount (if that's what you call it) just below the headset to the seat post mount. There is only one female entry on this mount for the cable coming from the lever. Is it just a naked cable or is there a very thin casing that stops the cable from the elements.
Hope you can understand my poor description.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    19.6 KB · Views: 707
Re:

It missing its "dog collar", a cable guide that sits around the seat post. Came in various guises, black plastic in '91/2 moving to different designs in metal after that. There was no outer from the stop near the head tube to the collar.

Re:

I think maybe you mean brake cable "sleeve"/"straw", its a clear protective cable "sheath" often used on top tube routed cables to protect the cable (and paintwork).
Try asking at your local bike shops.
You could also just use the little rubber brake cable "donuts" that are available.

Berthapog mentioned the "Dog Collar", do you have it? For your '93 bike it should be the version for cantilever brakes.

If you don't have it theres a good thread on an alternative here...
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 135973%20e

Attachments

• file-1.jpeg
    file-1.jpeg
    26.9 KB · Views: 676
  • jag3.jpg
    jag3.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 675
Re:

Yea, got the dog collar, thanks guys. It was just the protection for the cable I was asking about. I used a shrink wrap protection that electricians use for their electrical wire years ago but it got a bit tatty and would stop the wire from moving freely when I used the back brake. I will keep an eye out for this protective cable sheath. Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post. This might be the first of many.......lol

Latest posts

Back