Build conundrum - estay project

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
The plan is to have the saracen painted/coated white, let my kids paint some stuff on it then lacquer over the top.

That's as far as my plan has got so far (recommended powder coaters/painters would be a help).

Not sure where to go with the build though. The frame has canti mounts, but that doesn't normally stop me fitting v brakes, has threaded original forks, though thinking pace or suspension may be a way forward.

I'm planning a large cull of bikes, and whilst the frame in question here is by no means special or unique, the plan is to make it so and for it to be a keeper for rides with the family and possibly more.

My usual build is a retro frame with more modern parts and I could go down this road as with the cull, I could keep some choice bits back for it. I'm tempted to try and keep it as British as possible, so the obligatory pace forks (rc30 or 31 if rigid, air force 2 or EVO for some bounce), Pace bars, x lite bits, hope hubs.

Main conundrum is brakes and gearing. I've an xc pro groupset doing nothing, might be a nice change, and could go canti (though I must admit I'm not a fan of setting them up). Brit brakes seem a rarity so could also go Onza ho or even Controltech.

Or there is always the option of slapping on some modern stuff. Never gone down the road of frame modification but I guess lopping off the canti mount is an option, as in theory is a rear disc mount.

Anyone got any thoughts or inspirational estay build that could help me hone the build?

Back