SEPA payments?

retrobikeguy

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
BoTY Winner
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
Anyone here ever used a SEPA payment before?

I have an ebayer who will accept only cash or SEPA , is it the same as IBAC payment or different, if so .... who should I use to send a SEPA payment that is reputable or should I chat to my local bank.

Cheers

AFAIK that's just the EU standard for bank transfers, so I doubt there's any protection like with Paypal - you are just transferring into their account.

Unless you know/trust them I would just walk away - I have a feeling you lose Ebay protection as well if Paypal isn't used.

Re:

Ah right, I'm sure it's a reputable eBay member, long standing and a perfect 100% feedback rate, so I guess it's just down to how well the item travels and risk of damage, I'll have to make sure it's insured well if I go for it then.

Thank you
RBG

IBAN / SEPA are standard payment procedure within Europe. Paypal is the minority and mostly not always accepted by Ebay sellers - especially German ebayers. Reason for that is, that IBAN payments are free of charge (for Euroland) - Paypal not.

You cant judge a seller cause he's not accepting Paypal. ;)

magas":9fbcoaae said:
You cant judge a seller cause he's not accepting Paypal. ;)

Agreed, but is a valid point regarding payment protection if you don't know the seller or unmentioned problems arise, after going through his feedback though I feel he is a competent and trustworthy ebayer.

My main point was I was unsure mainly as to whether a SEPA payment is just the same as an IBAN transfer.

RBG

agree with you, that there's no payment protection when payment is executed on SEPA / IBAN base. To be honest, I was never in the situation where I would have asked for payment protection, neither when payed via PayPal, nor with SEPA.

Regardless of payment method, its a matter of trust, sellers feedback and a good feeling for people when it comes to buy things of the internet. And in the end when payed with "PayPal gift" theres also no payment protection ;)

some informations about SEPA aso. https://www.currencyfair.com/blog/sepa- ... -transfer/

True but the OP was specifically talking about an Ebay seller, and I think it is against Ebay rules (not taking sides, just pointing it out) for a seller not to accept PP.

magas":1gepi0ij said:
Reason for that is, that IBAN payments are free of charge (for Euroland) - Paypal not.
Not round here, they aren't. They're bloody expensive, even. Worse if yu're going to / from sterling, of course, as you get additionally raped on rates.

If you need to do transfers, especially cross-currency ones, try transferwise.com. Got a transfer to my daughter (from France to the UK) down from costing €80+ with the bank to just over €3. And hit her account faster than the bank would have done.

Yep, I've had to use IBAN a couple of times for things I really 'needed'. Cost a bloody arm and a leg!

Latest posts

Back