Which Saracen Model and year (1984 or 1987?)?

Tokalo

Retro Newbie
My wife brought this unwanted Saracen home the other day. It has a Reynolds 531 frame with Suntour Mountech font & rear derailleurs, but it's missing the model name on the crossbar.

It has 24" Araya white wall wheels and an 18" frame, so it's quite small.

The date codes on the Dia Compe brake levers are 1984 (05 84), and the date code on the front mech is also 1984 (AF), and considering that Saracen seem to have changed over to Shimano derailleurs by about 1986, I thought from this that the build date would be 1984 or 1985.

However, I can't find any references to Saracen bikes using 531 F&F in 1984 and the hubs on both wheels are dated 1987.

Is it sensible to try to date it from the wheels?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    18.1 KB · Views: 839
Nice find :)

Definitely pre 87 - the brand decals changed in 1987 so this bike is earlier. Best guess at 84 or 85. Not sure on the model - maybe a Kili Flyer.

What are you going to do with it? Does it need much work?

To be honest, I'm not sure what to do. It's too small for anyone here, so it was a question of whether to try to clean it up and then sell it on. It all seems to work (bottom bracket seems ok - that's Shimano, by the way), but both inner tubes need replacing. I'm a bit concerned I might do more damage than good when I try making it look nicer - I normally just mess around with fairly modern bikes (current project is a 2005 Kona Cindercone). And I suspect anything I do probably won't add much value

Re:

There is limited commercial value in these bikes. But lots of sentimental value - increased if all of the original parts are kept on the bike and lovingly restored.

If you don't want it then I'm sure someone on here would take it off your hands for a small fee.

Re:

Yep, I might be interested in giving it a home for my son, depending on where you are and how much of a small fee? :)

The brochure in the linked page from Jan '85 shows they were still on 501 frames then. The full size bikes changed to Shimano in late '84 but it looks like they were still using the Mountech stuff on the Junior into '85, either to differentiate it from the full size model or use up stock. The early '85 Juniors appear to be only in yellow or blue and although the photo is a bit small it looks like yours has the later shifters with the rubber cover. My guess is '85/'86.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40984&start=830

I think I have worked out how to upload pix (AAPL don't make it easy to reduce the file size of photos on an iPad)

The handlebar is a bit of a mess - the chrome is flaky.

Some of the letter transfers are broken, which seems to be common on Saracens this old.

Is the quick release seat clamp normal for the mid-80s?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    16 KB · Views: 693
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    16.7 KB · Views: 693
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    18 KB · Views: 694
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    16.7 KB · Views: 694
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    15.2 KB · Views: 694
Re:

I'd say it was 86 as it looks the same as my 86 kili, other than the small wheels,
Saracen only started using Shimano gears in 86 on the kili, the 85 kili's were suntour iirc.
Lovely original bike, I wish my missus would bring bikes home an not handbags an shoes...

Latest posts

Back