Orange E3 - cracked headtube

Milese

Dirt Disciple
I've just liberated my Dad's Orange E3 from him.

He bought it used in circa 1998 when I bought my Merlin WCS new, with 27speed LX. It's got XT mechs, brakes, LX shifters and Shimano chainset, 24 speed. Judy XC forks (need attention).

Front wheel appears to be original as is a Coda hub, but rear is a replacement shimano.

Anyway, quite excited by the bike I just started cleaning it and discovered a crack in the headtube. Does this mean it's scrap? Repairable or not worth it?

Disappointed, I was itching to get the autosol on it!

I hadn't decided what I'd do with the bike, whether I'd keep or sell. Is there any value in the bike repaired or as is?

As far a headtube cracks go, that is pretty severe.

Can be repaired by welding - best solution - or a pressed on collar.

Whether its worth the cost is up to you, not an orange expert but i see nothing special about the frame.

damn. always fancied an E3 but thats a hell of a crack. As above, repairable but not sure of cost. Theres a couple of folk on here who might be able to help you out (danson67?). Dont see many of these about so might be worth it just for the novelty.

Danson as suggested above has done some excellent repairs on alloy frames and saved them from the skip so if it's worth it to you I'd go for it. Might be best to have the head tube replaced than repaired.

Not sure the hub is original as coda is a cannondale brand BTW.

Re:

Thanks for the replies.

Sounds like it's scrap then. Even with the repair it isn't a mint example.

Would you believe in 1999 my Dad and I took our bikes to alicante, and we just turned up at the airport with our bikes and put them on the plane. No bags, boxes or packaging. Then my Dad complained when the top tube got a deep scratch.

Shame.

After speaking to a certain builder of aluminium, he says its new headtube time. But then you'd be messing with temper and existing welds. Plus heat treating the headtube post repair without affecting the rest of the frame.

Back