Today I have...

Radar

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
...been filming with the BBC.

So what has this to do with Retrobike? My beloved, shiny Pace Rc200 f8 will be starring in an episode of "Close Calls - Caught on Camera".

I've been a member of my local mountain rescue team (Kinder) for about 15 years. Last year we had a job, where a chap went over his handlebars and put the end of his handlebars through his femeral artery. Cutting a very long story short he almost bled to death on the hillside. Today we recreated the incident for the Beeb.

So, in a few months time if your eyes light up, your RB radar starts twitching etc... that's my lovely f8 in shot. (I know I shouldn't be wearing walking boots with Time Atacs, but I wasn't expecting to be a crash double. I was asked to bring a 'mountain bike' along as a prop. I was in roughtie toughtie mountain rescue mode.)

Were you involved with the original rescue?

Did the bars not have end plugs fitted?

Preaumably the cyclist called 999 on mob so there was signal?

Re:

Yes, I was. Passers-by called 999, and almost certainly saved his life by applying direct pressure until help arrived.
Bar end plugs? No idea, as we were a bit busy. Logic would suggest not.

Strangely, in 15 years I can only think of about 3 or 4 shouts involving mountain bikes in that time. Which is surprising when you think how many mountain bikes pass along the trails in our patch of the Peak.

Re:

Many moons ago when I was younger and much lighter I went to the Peaks with a group. Stayed near Glossop in a bunk barn and had a great time. On one of our rides we were all charging down a quarry road heading towards Castleton when a couple of riders had a coming together. One of them slipped off the back of his saddle and impaled himself on his brake canti arm. Right up under his groin and missed his femoral artery my an inch. Had to call out mountain rescue to get him off the hill as it was miles from anywhere. When we asked which hospital he was going to we were told Manchester. Spent the evening going round all the hospitals until we found him.

Keep up the good work, i hope he sent you a bunch of flowers for helping to save his life.

Back