Shimano pedals,how did they do it?

Spanky22b

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
This is a bit like the chicken and the egg question for me but it involves Shimanos early pedals. I want to restore my Shimano Deore pedals but i'm trying to work out which way Shimano painted them. Did they paint the white first then the black or vice versa or did they do it completely different :? Has anyone any ideas or even better,restored some with sucessfull results.

Attachments

• IMAG2445_1.jpg
    IMAG2445_1.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 509
I'd say the black then the White. You may be better off masking the logo up and striping the black off then redoing the black and use a fine black permanent pen to re do around the logo. Done this before with good results.

I used a white eraser type pen for the logo.

Re:

Can't really offer any help but looking to refurb a pair of DX pedals and was wondering the best way to do the lettering too so signing in for helpful responses.

I'd recommend a very fine artist's brush (000 or something like that) to paint the white lettering after painting the cage in black. Use of a good quality white paint will also be essential I would imagine.

The pedal would be held , the model etc would be stamped in to to the metal, whole thing painted black then a stamp of white would make the marks by stamping in the same position as the impression stamp(die)

Strangely you should mention this.... :LOL: Yeah, me too.

I was intending to strip the black, smooth the metal then respray in black matt. For the white im intending to use a paint fineliner.

Should there be nothing suitable in the paint fineliner pens, ill look to putting a dab of white on it and wiping the excess with a white spirit dampened cloth. Trick will be not to have the cloth too damp and to not wipe too hard the cloth lifts the white out the impression.

Some good ideas so far,going with the black first seems the best way to start then lots of patience and a steady hand for the white. There's a model shop in town i might bring a pedal with me to see what type of paint to use on them.
Also i've got seven sets of pedals to do for different builds,two Deore comp MT61's,three XT comp M731's and two DX comps i must be able to get one of them perfect :LOL:

Just found some XT M735 comps aswell :D

Re:

i painted mine black then bought a white touch up pen from halfords (ford diamond white) and blasted it over the letters (they are stamped into the metal) and wiped a few wee bits i got on the outside/top of the pedal, job done and they looked great

Back