Questions for Cannondale headshok experts!

ultrazenith

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Calling all Cannondale experts and enthusiasts!

I'm thinking of modding a 60 or 80 mm travel headshok for a new project. Don't ask why ... all will be revealed in the near future if this project goes ahead.

There are three main issues I'm looking to understand at the moment:

- Do/did all Headshoks had the same steerer length? (someone told me they *think* they do, and the length is 7 1/2 inches).

- What is the stack height of a Headshok stem?

- Is it possible to change stem height using spacers?

Thanks in advance.

Re:

Stem height 2 in or 51 mm.

There is usally a lever or knob for lockout so the top of the steerer is about 1 mm above the stem.

Re:

To keep it accurate, consider that all Headshok frames have the same headtube length. Regarding the steerer tubes, from headset bearing to bearing they are the same. As for stack height, not sure this could be altered since the bearing seats on the steerer are a machined step and this determines where the bearings must be placed in regards to headset heights.

Re:

There seems to be two different version of 1.5 in stem, if you want to knoe how i know, see my post in >1998

Yes, there are different versions, and why I mentioned it is more about the frames headtube length and bearing spacing.

FWIW, no Headshok is 1.5. Every Headshok I am aware of used 1 9/16" bearings. A 1.5 does not fit or work.

Re:

Yes. That exactly what i measured .... my search for 100 mm low rise stem continues..

Thanks for the extra info. Very useful. If they have standard lengths, would you happen to know the length of heashok steerers.

Re:

Headshok steerers are a non issue on length, you run the two bearings at the right spacing, There is no real way to shorten a steerer tube since the steerer secures the catridge and roller bearings. I have a bunch of Headshoks but they are kind of buried away.

Re: Re:

PMK":3pzmdeup said:
Headshok steerers are a non issue on length, you run the two bearings at the right spacing, There is no real way to shorten a steerer tube since the steerer secures the catridge and roller bearings. I have a bunch of Headshoks but they are kind of buried away.

Can I put spacers above the stem in the event that my Headshok steerer is too long? I'm asking because I may have a frame custom built and my only suspension option for my chosen wheel size would be a headshok unit with custom blades.

Back