To Identify a Kona

simplythebeast

Retro Newbie
Hi,
First time poster, long time browser.
I have an old Kona frame that I would like to nail down the specifics on. I was told it is an explosif by the seller. But it was repainted (with no stickers) and I would like to be sure of the model and year.
It has a 1" headtube, oval tapered downtube and top tube and flared (at the BB shell) seat tube. It originally had a track 2 fork that had remnants of the original black with multi-coloured splatter paint job on the steerer tube (the visible frame was repainted purple).
The serial number on the bottom of the BB shell is: 8911A3027

Is there a way to identify exactly the model and year?

Wow great info thanks! That does place quite precisely!

I regret selling the Track 2 fork. I was reading about it, and apparently it was a 390mm a-c whereas the new p2 that I bought is a 410mm a-c (I did this because this P2 is threadless which I prefer... I did not realize the height difference, or appreciate the originality of the T2).

Would the new 20mm higher front change the handling significantly? Should I look for another 390 fork?

Re:

Are your new p2's 1" steerer? Otherwise they won't fit.
I would of thought you'd notice the difference from 390 to 410 once on the bike.

Kyle

They are indeed 1" steerer forks. I have not mounted them yet. This bike is a project that I am slowly accumulating parts for. But If 390 (with 45mm rake) to 410 (with 38mm rake) would make a substantial difference, then I'd ditch these and try to find something closer to original.
Having little experience swapping forks and observing the changes, I do not know what to expect.

Back