cables inners and outers, brake and shifting

jgjones095

Old School Hero
On so need new cables for both shifting and braking on a new build, plus a restro I have planned.

New build is 3x8 xtr 950 with v's

Been looking around at shimano cabling sets. Mainly xtr ones.

What's the alternatives?
Can i buy a real of outer cables myself?
Are shifting and brake outers the same?
What are the best end caps for the outers to get?
I know the inners have different ends on. Anything particular to look for?

How easy is it to match xtr grey over the years?
Have shimano changed part no of cabling over the years?

Cheers for the help.
Jon

Re:

personally i like to buy 5mm jagwire outer reals and seperate cables. i dont like how rigid 4mm gear outer are. i also use normal chromed end caps but the plastic ones are just as good imho. this lot doesnt cost the earth either. i am aware goretex lined cable ouetrs etc are great but too much money for me and with X+1 bikes gets a tad dear

I buy Shimano SP41 by the 10m chunk, normally from CRC, stainless inners, and whatever end caps are lying around.

Brake and shifter outers are different, shifter cable has the wires running along it, brakes are like spiral. Can't think of the right words but not the same.

jgjones095":1zvj5b2j said:
What's the alternatives?
As stated, Jagwire is the most common standard cables.
Yes. It's not really cost effective unless you have multiple bikes.
No. SIS shifter cable has linear wire strand reinforcement, Standard and SLR brake cable has wound flat coil reinforcement. Both are terrible substitutes for the other.
The ones from QBP your LBS has jars of. The have jars of the crimp on cable ends too. Usually a few cents a piece for both. If you buy cable kits, they'll come with it.
Make sure you get Shimano ends. They will most likely sell you them by default. You pretty much have to ask for Campy.
Not very. Unless you have an old skool LBS nearby, you're SOL. Dura Ace is close-ish.
Modern brake cable outers are 4mm and 5mm. Both function the same. Old skool (80s-early 90s) is 6mm. The inner is thicker as well, with special clips on the cable ends. Bigger ferrules,as well. You won't bother with that unless you're working with levers from that era and want to be period correct (you can use 5mm housing and step down ferules).

One last thing. If you plan on doing multiple bikes, pony up for a set of Shimano or Park cable cutters. They're not cheap, but they're worth their weight in iridium.

One last, last thing, just because my LBS rocks. ;)

"You ever sell any of this?"
"<laugh> Nah. No one wants grey cables any more. You want it?"
"Sold."

C69AE1F8-E0BB-4DA0-8A2B-CF8C3D16B205-1649-0000007767029821_zpsilaovxxq.jpg

If you are using XTR, performance wise you can't be Shimano XTR cable set, the one with the coated black teflon inner wires. It is superb, having used both I know where I'd put my money.

With respect, Jagwire are good as are Clarks, Transfil is another alternative, if you go down this route, make sure you use stainless inners.

Re:

Check the ferrules, Shimano & some others have little seals in the end to help keep the crud & wet out but some are just left open to the elements. If you ride in dry conditions & never wash your bike it wont cause a problem.

JG:

Here are some answers:

On so need new cables for both shifting and braking on a new build, plus a restro I have planned.

New build is 3x8 xtr 950 with v's

Been looking around at shimano cabling sets. Mainly xtr ones.

What's the alternatives?
---Lots out there. Gore if you can find them, Shimano, Jagwire, Clarks, SRAM. Any housing will work as long as you use brake for brake and derailleur for derailleur. DO NOT interchange them. Not only will you have poor shifting and braking but if you use a derailleur housing for the brake, you can end up losing the brakes cause the inner wire can burst thru the casing and then you're screwed. I have worked on bikes that have had it happen. Fun to see, doubt it's funny to have happen.

---Of course. I usually buy 30m rolls when I buy them. But I am in the bike industry and use housing a lot. You can buy small rolls or big ones. Up to you.

---NO. Flat wound for brake VS straight set for derailleur. You can use brake housing for derailleur but the inner diameter is much larger for the brake wire size-(1.1 or 1.2mm derailleur inner wire VS 1.6mm brake wire size). So the shift wire will be really sloppy in a brake housing and you will end up with crappy shifting.

---The best are alloy ones. Strong, won't rust out and the housing won't pull thru them. Also, they sometimes have o-rings to keep dirt out. BUT, you get some friction in there so it can slow down performance on derailleurs.

---Just make sure to get derailleur for derailleur and brake for brake. Only Campy uses a different size. SRAM and Shimano are the same ends.

---Not hard at all. XTR grey is still available. BUT many shops don't carry it cause the housing costs more. They will usually have a white, black and brighter color silver. But XTR Grey is available. I have it and just bought some recently.

---Not really. The numbers are still around but they have updated them to make things sound better. Like SP40 or SP41 housing. Same stuff but the cable ferrules are different.

Also, don't get the black XTR coated inner wires. Why? Cause that coating wears off. And what happens is it gets in the housing and add friction and thickness. I prefer stainless inner wires and a bit of tri flow on the wires. I have had wires last 5+ years without issue.

JG:
If you are getting XTR wires, yes, they are black from 950 model till current. 900/910 were just plain stainless. Just use plain Shimano stainless inner wires. Cheaper and less issues.

Back