1990 Diamond Back Sorrento opinions.

DBRyder

Retro Newbie
Hi,
I have my original 1990 Diamond Back Sorrento which is still in fair condition although could do with a little tidying and not ridden in at least 10 years. I need to get a bike as my kids are just starting to really get going but have been wondering do i just buy a new modern bike or spend money on the old girl, can it be upgraded for a bit of nostalgia? opinions?

Well, of course I am completely biassed, but £100 of bits from the small ads and a day's cleaning, decreasing and new cabling will have your bike running as well as a new one. You would probably have to spend more than £500 to get a bike as good. Early 90s MTBs are also way more versatile than modern bikes: add a rack, go touring, commute with mudguards, etc etc

/\/\/\/\/\ - what he said. I have a Topanga, try finding a 'new' steel bike with True Temper AVR tubing for less than a round of drinkies

Well thats good to hear, i couldn't get rid of the old girl after 25 years of ownership! What needs to be on my shopping list?

DBRyder":23isg95w said:
Well thats good to hear, i couldn't get rid of the old girl after 25 years of ownership! What needs to be on my shopping list?

I'd check the tires first, I dont know when you last used the bike but if it's been a long time you may need to replace them. The derailleurs and brakes probably need to be adjusted too, or not.

As far as buying a new one, the biggest change in mtbs since the days yours was new is suspension frames/forks, which allow for easier travel on really bad trails/downhills. The disadvantage with suspension bikes is that they generally make poor road riders. So if you just plan on general road and trail riding, your bike will be just fine.

So yeah I'd check the tires, then adjust everything as needed - or have a shop do it if you're not capable yourself. Good luck though. All my bikes - road and mountain - are from around the same era as yours, and as another poster said, they're very versatile. :)

Editing to add: I just saw you hadnt ridden the bike in 10 years so definitely check those tires.

In addition to what was said above, save yourself a load of hassle and replace all the cables and outers.
If you are not sure how to do any service tasks, the Park Tool website is very good.

tyres, tubes, grips and saddle for comfort and safety, also new cables, outers and brake pads. easily less than £100 if you search a bit but thats half the fun sometimes :)

ritchey zmax of ebay £20 pair ( if in stock), tubes are a coule of quid each, saddles can be 10-20 quid for new ones, charge bucket or spoon for example, grips from ebay (foam are comfy) pads from lbs and cable kits via ebay are dirt cheap £5-10 all in!!!!

Back