Shimano FC-M900 175 PJ or PL ? Help HG/SG Chain

blue2256

Retro Guru
Hello Help :?:
I'm just rebuilding my Roberts D.O.G.S.B.O.L.X. with Shimano M900 stuff , all good however I have two chainwheels, One came with the bike and in very used condition the other I bought via the Bay from Germany and is in very good condition.

So the only difference I can see by eye is that the one from Germany has PJ stamped on the back of the arm, the original one has PL ?

The one from Germany also has a sticker on the chain ring 'Shimano SG /for narrow chain only' also the ring has 'D-48' stamped on the front

The original one has no sticker but the chain ring has 'F-46' stamped on the back of the ring.
I will try to put up some photos as I now think on e may be an earlyer version?

In any case I have a NEW KMC X8.99 chain to go onto this however just noted that the chain is compatible with HG , so would I be able to use this on the SG set up ?

Thanks for your help in advance
Dave

SG (SuperGlide) is for the front cogs to what HG (HyperGlide) is for the rear cogs.
SG-X if on it would mean it has ramps.
The chain will be fine. (It's what I also use)

PL (Dec 1991) and PJ (Oct 1991) are just date codes when they where produced.

I forget the meaning of D and F but iirc are group and quality codes normally, 46 and 48 mean number of teeth.
Pick which every ring are good and working and the size you want.

Re:

FluffyChicken Thank you so much for the info.
After reading I placed the chain on, had a couple of spins on the bike stand and 'Bang' The rear mack M900 exploded. Okay a little over the top but the rear back plate of the rear meck came undone and the inner sprocket went flying.
After putting it back together I noticed that the bolt holding the lower sprocket was different from the rest, a little larger.
Reassembled the unit and tried to tighten the bolt up and the thread or what was left of the thread came out.
So so close in getting the bike back on the road, So looking for a replacement back plate.

Going to get a cup of tea now and think what to do next.
Once again thank you for your reply
Dave

Back