robtherake

Retro Newbie
Haven't cycled regularly for years but have just become the owner of a Muddy Fox Ranger Mega MFX (500?) that someone put out with the rubbish!

It needs a little TLC: new fork gaiters, chain and tyres wouldn't go amiss; apart from that it's not in bad nick and seems to ride well, condition of perished tyres notwithstanding.
Is there anything you can tell me about it? I gather it's from a time when MF were more focused on quality than affordability - it certainly looks the part.

Oh, and what affordable tyres would you recommend, bearing in mind that it'll spend more time on road than off.

Cheers,
Rob.

Re:

Hi Rob, and welcome!

I'm not really the person to comment about MF bikes, as I've never owned one :oops:

If you're looking for a good general purpose tyre, with retro skin-walls, then the Charge Splashback is a good choice.
Not good in the wet, off road though.
Can be had for under a tenner each, if you shop around on-line.

Re: Re:

robtherake":9mkrtv32 said:
Bump. No replies, guys? Not a very auspicious beginning.:(

Hi Rob welcome to RB :)
Not been here long myself but you'll find this place to be a group of welcoming and experienced similarly-minded retro bikers with tons of experience who'll happily spend time answering any techie questions you may have (and are probably too busy doing so for others that your post has been somewhat neglected!)
There's a Muddy Fox Lovers thread here which you'll hopefully find helpful and interesting! viewtopic.php?f=1&t=59947

The official introduce yourself thread is here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=184850

Good luck with your restoration and happy retro-biking! :cool:

Re: Re:

regan_ev":3kuymir9 said:
robtherake":3kuymir9 said:
Bump. No replies, guys? Not a very auspicious beginning.:(

Hi Rob welcome to RB :)
Not been here long myself but you'll find this place to be a group of welcoming and experienced similarly-minded retro bikers with tons of experience who'll happily spend time answering any techie questions you may have (and are probably too busy doing so for others that your post has been somewhat neglected!)
There's a Muddy Fox Lovers thread here which you'll hopefully find helpful and interesting! viewtopic.php?f=1&t=59947

The official introduce yourself thread is here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=184850

Good luck with your restoration and happy retro-biking! :cool:

Thanks, man :) That MF thread's pretty good. I can't have looked hard enough for the newbies thread. :roll:

Latest posts

Back