Manitou 1 crowns - differences?

regan_ev

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Yeti Fan
Feedback
View
Guys
Did the Manitou 1 fork crown with the 1 1/4" steerer look different to the 1" & 1 1/8" where the tops of the stanchions clamp in?
I've searched on here, on the old Manitou wiki and archives and can't find it specifically mentioned, but I've been offered one that doesn't have the recesses at the edges (like where it's milled out to presumably save weight as well as looking prettier!).
The only thing I can find to counter my doubt and belief that all Manitou 1 crowns are the same is a member's pic on here of their Yeti which has the crown I've been offered, without these recesses. I just want to make sure it's genuine and OEM.
Set the record straight on this for me if you can please?

Ignore this - I think I've answered my own question. The Manitou 1 doesn't have the recesses see pic below (not sure how I missed this before, must've been searching for wrong thing!)

But can anyone tell me if the second pic of just the crown is a genuine Manitou 1 crown?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 318
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 318
The stanchion dust covers should be aluminum with o-ring seals, and yes it appears to be a Manitou 1. You can still get new elastomers, however I cut down the spring from a binned old fork, for both sides, and it works a treat.
Cheers

tatra":207sbkjf said:
The stanchion dust covers should be aluminum with o-ring seals, and yes it appears to be a Manitou 1. You can still get new elastomers, however I cut down the spring from a binned old fork, for both sides, and it works a treat.
Cheers

Thanks for info, very useful. My post didn't make sense because of the way the pictures are embedded - I need to know if the top one - which is advertised & descibed as merely "vintage Manitou crown" - in indeed a Manitou 1 crown. It's the only one I've come across recently that's a 1 1/4 and need it, but want to know if it's original or I'll pass on it and keep searching.

Thanks.

Back