Late 1980s GT Karakoram

bprocks

Retro Newbie
Hi All,
I found a vintage late 1980's GT Karakoram on Craigslist for $160. However I have my doubts if its a real or if counterfeit. and If real is it $160 a fair price for one?

My main worry is that I've googled 1988 GT karakoram's and none of the labels look as plain as this one (almost as if stenciled on). Also, if its real, is the Tange cromo tubing used for the entire frame or just parts of it?

Here are some pictures:

Any help is much appreciated!

Attachments

• k1.jpg
    k1.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 541
  • k2.jpg
    k2.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 540
  • k3.jpg
    k3.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 540
  • k4.jpg
    k4.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 539
Deffinately a GT due to the pierced top tube and the flip flop stem...well the stem, propbably not flip flop... but it has been repainted, so no idea how to tell what model it actaully is. The parts spec don't look like a karakoram. Also they look like sti shifters, no more like a 1990 tequesta...but it's hard to say...
definately not GT decals though, just some made up ones.

Re:

Its a GT made by Toyo. I have the same frame, frame is pretty heavy at 6lbs. Has horizontal dropouts so would make a good singlespeed. I think $160 is pricey.

What's the frame number? The decals definitely aren't original. I suspect it's a repainted 1990 Tequesta.

I think the Flip-flop stem came out in 1990, so if that and some of the other components are original, with the horizontal drop-outs the Tequesta seems the most likely suspect.

Re:

Thanks everyone! I've decided to look for something else, esp since the location is pretty far from me. Just curious, what is the flip-flop system that is mentioned? I searched and googles and it keeps taking me to see sandal :LOL:

Re:

The flip flop stem was a stem made by gt that unlike normal quill stem, you could unblot it from the framer and turn it upside down for negative rise, similar to today's threadless designs...
Er I think, never seen one in action

Re:

Flip flop stems were introduced in 1992, along with Groove Tube gear cable routing, so your frame is pre-92. The forks look like GT Triple Trak, which would be correct for a Karakoram. My 92 Tequesta has a unicrown fork which is a different shape, less tapered than yours. Hope this is helpful :)

Latest posts

Back