1996 Klein Mantra Comp Prototype

MachinistBob

Retro Newbie
Hi guys,

Kind of a newbie here, so please bear with me.
Is there any interest in a Klein prototype of a 1997 mantra comp? I'm looking to perhaps sell mine. When I was a Klein employee from 1995-1997, I built 12 of these frames. Some were photo bikes that were in the catalog. Some were test bikes that Gary, Darrell and myself and others rode to asses handling etc. Others were sent to interbike in Anaheim. This particular one went to a mountain bike magazine for a review article. Since I don't ride much and it's not my size, it only has about 30 miles on it. As far as I know, this is the only one left. Since these were prototypes and not made by production welders etc., the others were destroyed for liability reasons.
I've been dragging this complete bike around with me from state to state for almost 30 years, (Ed. ...make that 20) and it's time to let it go. If anyone has a copy of the bike review, I would sure like to have a look at it. There are very subtle differences between this bike and the production models that make it very easy to identify this as a prototype.

Thanks,
MachinistBob.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 603
Ok, differences...
Most every part was made out of billet. (The downtube, pivots, dropouts, seat tube, shock mounts, etc.)
The chainstays were modified Adriot/Attitude tubes.
The pivot clamping system was changed from a pinch clamp that you see in the picture to a tapered wedge style. It was a pre production change and this type was never sold.
There's no serial number.
The top tube is externally butted using a tube mandrel on the lathe. You can still see the lathe tool marks under the paint.

That's about all I can think of right now. I can post close-up pictures of all these, but probably not until tomorrow or saturday.

Thanks,
Bob.

Re:

I'm guessing your in the states and in the last year or so the tax on stuff coming in has been pretty rigidly applied, they like their pound of flesh. That doesn't mean a U.K. buyer would not be interested however.

Here is some links that might help

First, how much is my xyz worth, this might give some best guestimates of a price viewforum.php?f=78

Secondly if you do decide a price then the members section to post it in..your add must include a price
viewforum.php?f=2

Within the members section there is a u.s.a. specific section
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=57212

Lastly there is also another forum that has a vintage section (I believe you yankees call retro, vintage :D ) that is u.s. based http://forums.mtbr.com/vintage-retro-classic/

Between all those links I hope it might help your sale

Re: Re:

KDM said:
I'm guessing your in the states and in the last year or so the tax on stuff coming in has been pretty rigidly applied, they like their pound of flesh. That doesn't mean a U.K. buyer would not be interested however.

Hey, thanks for the links and the advice! I really appreciate it.
I've never heard of a tax on a private party sale. We agree on a price, and that's it. Just like buying things at a garage sale or a swap meet. I may very we'll be dodging a tax of some sort, but this is my understanding. I would just put the bike in a box and ship it to your house.

Re:

I believe the current rate is 20% of the bikes value as a custom tax and then a further £8? for delivery tax

I hope someone else can step in here but if it is coming from the u.s. to the u.k. then customs tax is very likely to apply. In the old days, even 5 years ago it was hit and miss if they stopped it and applied the charge but now they get more than they do not.

Re:

Pretty much everything from USA, never had anything charged from China / HK, most Europeon stuff doesn't get charged either.
Strange.

Looking forward to my 2 day express delivery of titanium from USA being held in UK customs for 2 weeks.

Back