1996? Judy SL question - boffin needed.

fagin

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Simple question I hope.
I have a set of 1996 (I think) Judy SL with Kronos springs. I think they must be lightweight so have bought some fat bastard weight and need to swap them out.

Is it as simple as loosening the pinch bolts, uncrewing the topcaps, removing and replacing the springs, and doing it all up again?

Forks seem perfect apart from the 90% sag, so I don't want to take them to bits any more than necessary.

They are these I think, but in gold. Adjuster knobs are identical though.

AyFlo97.jpg

ps the booties are not fitted although I do have them. Is there actually any benefit from having them on?
My opinion has always been that they just trap crud.

And look BSOish.

Hi bud, you don't need to loosen the pinch bolts, the top cap will just unscrew, it may be tight so grips might be required.
Unscrew, change the spring and screw back on.
the thread is only plastic though so don't cross the threads.

If they are gold colour they are likely the Judy xc.

HTH.

Re:

If you slacken off the pinch bolts then you shouldn't need to use grips to undo the top caps. save damaging them ;)

Thanks guys. Took one cap off at lunchtime just to have a look. Came off easy enough but will loosen the bolts for the other one. Will finish tonight as didn't want to get all covered in grease.

Now to work out what I took out - green caps. Any Kronos experts around?

The less the pinch bolts are undone and done up again, the better, when you do them up again be sure to do them to the correct torque.
I have never had a set that didn't come undone without a little muscle, and I don't tend to damage them if they require help.

If you have to undo the pinch bolts to loosen the top cap then A) they have been done up to tight, or B) the stations are low in the crown causing the crown to pinch on the cap.

Back