Can Shimano sealed bearing cups be removed?

rjsdavis

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
At the moment, I'm about to move a groupset from one MTB to another, and the new MTB has an Italian BB shell.

I've got an excellent UN90 BB with British threaded cups, but need the same with Italian threaded cups.

I've seen there's one chap on here with a UN90, but it has black cups which aren't original, therefore, I surmised that the cups must be removable (albeit the fixed cup side somewhat more tricky to remove from the actual BB)?

However, I've just been into my LBS to see if I could just order a pair of Italian threaded cups from Madison that I could just use with my existing UN90 BB, but he told me that you can't remove the fixed cup! Is this correct?

TBH - I've never tried this, but I had imagined that I could probably just thread the fixed cup into a frame and simply tap on the axle to knock it through the shell and out of the cup?

Any experience would be handy....

If it is the dual cup one then yes.

Acetone and heat up the stuck down side. there are some threads on it (maybe not with the acetone part)

I may have some shiny black new Italian UN7-something bottom bracket.

The newer ones have the cup built into the body, that might be what they are talking about.

older
001_634752966506181581.jpg

newer
800px-BB-UN73.jpg

Back