Help identifying my Hoo Koo E Koo

mkaavin

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi

This is my fathers old Hoo Koo E Koo. I think he bought in 92 or 93. He loved this bike but it was originally built up with some low end Suntour stuff that was really bad.

So over time we built it up with Shimano parts (mostly 735 XT and DX) but also a Suntour XC pro crank.

He replaced it as his favorite bike in 96 when he bought a Breezer Thunder that was a really great bike. So he ended up giving the Hoo Koo E koo to me.

I kept the Hoo Koo E Koo for some years, and then rebuilt it with mostly M737 stuff in 2001 I think, but didn't use it much. Took it apart a few years ago and have just kept it since.

I'm now planning to build it up just as my father would have wanted it to be back in the early 90's.

Anyway, what puzzles me is that I cannot seem to find any pics of a similar frame anywhere.....and I have looked at all the catalogs I can find.

So, is there any Gary Fisher experts out there that can help me identify the year of the bike and maybe if I'm lucky, does anyone have a catalog with specs and pics of what the bike looked like when new?

I am grateful for all the help I can get....

Attachments

• GF1.JPG
    GF1.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 2,290
  • GF2.JPG
    GF2.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 2,290
  • GF3.JPG
    GF3.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 2,290
JonTom":5477w9y4 said:
That could a 1991 model (I have a '91 Montare with the same style graphics etc). But happy to be corrected.

If it is a '91, follow this link and keep scrolling for the spec (although the colours offered differ).

http://www.vintage-trek.com/Trek-Fisher ... Fisher.pdf

Great! Thanks! I actually did believe it was a 91 model but wasn't sure. That makes sense. My father bought it in 92 and I remember the seller saying it was last years model.

Re:

From the catalog i see that the original Suntour component group was called X-1. Suntour had four groups at the time and this was their entry level.

I cannot possibly describe well enough how bad the components in this group were.....but trust me. This was sad stuff!

We changed all the components on this bike. Only the wheelset with Suntour hubs was kept.

Re:

Not sure of the year, but there is a Supercaliber on here for sale with a Suntour groupset on it if that's any use

Mike

That one on FB has a canti bridge and cable stop whereas yours has the noodle. Also it has an integrated seatpost clamp where as yours doesn't.

Re:

That colour HK-II was offered in 1990 after the peacock blue and white options in 1989. The 89's were spec'd with MT62 Deore II thumbies and your colour bike with STI shifters. Essentially the same frame but you are correct thinking yours is a 91 as those graphics were introduced in 91, also slight update with noodle instead of canti hanger as pointed out above - the 89 / 90 graphics are very similar (89 solid mountain and double ridge line, 90 no mountain just double ridge line) and simply marked Fisher. The correct group should be DX but have seen a couple spec'd with LX (as per following catalogue). Hope that helps - call me nuts but I have six of these and one in the same colour way as yours with 90 graphics...

Here's a link with the other two colours viewtopic.php?f=6&t=143697

Attachments

• 90Fisher1.jpg
    90Fisher1.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 2,013
  • 90Fisher2.jpg
    90Fisher2.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 2,014
  • 90Fisher3.jpg
    90Fisher3.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 2,014
  • 90Fisher4.jpg