retro 29er

thomas

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
29er in 1991...errrrrrr YES. :D :D :D

So i have a marin stinson which was the first of city bikes really. The sausalito was all out fast city. where as the stinson was the lower end version on off road 700c wheeled mountain bike. This boasts tange tubing mountain bike geometry with 700c wheels but spaced for mountain bike axels. And 29ers are exactly the same size tyres (internal) as 700c 622mm and this frame has enough clearance for mtb tryes. hence 29" external (overall) sizing. and the original rims are very wide to accomodate most nearly all mtb tyre widths.

MARIN was way ahead of the times.

This is a 29er before the 29er's was even born.

Just thought i would share this bit of info with you guys.
Love my city mtb (1991) even more now :D :D

Yes, you are 100% right. After loads of research, I discovered that I could replace my worn heavy old 700c wheels on my Cannondale Bad Boy with nice Shimano MT55 disc 29ers. 700x35c tyres fit fine. Wonder what will be 'new' for 2014, 7 speed and v-brakes. Lol :oops:

What you dont say is that you've fitted 29 x 1.9" or greater tyres. If you've not then you cant say its a 29er. If you've tried and they dont fit then obviously its not a 29er. 29er officionado's dont class any tyre of 1.8" or less on a 700c rim as 29er so we need more proof than estimation. Personally I reckon 28er is the max you can claim.

Back