1990 Saracen Eiger Find!

ringo

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Funny old world... just sat down to relax with a can, when 'er indoors chirps up that there's a Saracen bike for sale on the local Facebook selling page... So I heave myself off the sofa and over to the computer, fully expecting to see some piece of modern Taiwanese rubbish... and as my eyes focus on the screen, the delight that is a 1990 Saracen Eiger Team hoves into view... As here -

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/d/1 ... n_1990.pdf

And, it's only on the other side of the village, and it's only thirty five quid...

Within a minute, a bike had been grabbed and I've set off to door step the seller...

The bike is good, it rides and stops and the frame, fork and decals are unmarked. It is resplendent in it's LX groupset and original Hard Anodized wheels. The only non original part being the tyres...

It, of course, has the ubiquitous stuck seatpost, but as the eternal optimist, I am, I'm sure it'll come out easily enough... be very afraid, Marctwotone if it doesn't...

No pics yet as I'm collecting tomorrow, having negotiated a full fiver off for the stuck post.

I'm a very happy camper! :D :D :D

Sorry Rich I know I started a desire with you seeing my killi :LOL:

Now you have a tasty little Saracen of your own.... Looking forward to seeing it :D

Sounds like you have bagged a good 'un :cool: good honest steel and all that. From memory of chrisv40 letting a frame go not too long back they are decent frames and interesting in the 'eiger' name sake, sounds rare rather than the ever-present something-trax models. Looking forward to pics and to stare with a menacing gaze at the seatpost ;)

Me+rothenberger+tri nitro toluene= removed post. :)

Marc, from this day forward you will be known as Tri Nitro in this household!

It seems as though the Eiger range, although sounding racy, was actually a way in for Saracen to sell in Halfords... The spec is close to identical as "Trekker" model in the same catalogue...

Lord GT... yeah, you set the fire burning! :D

Pics after I collect..

I have the 1990 Eiger frame that marc two tone mentioned. It came from chrisv40. I have it fully built up at the moment so I should take a few photos.

As you say, the Eiger was a model range made for and sold through Halfords at the start of their link up with Saracen.
They were usually made up from a mixture of current and year old frames with the current model year's components.
The Eiger frame was virtually identical to the Tufftrax, albeit with different colours and decals.

They are pretty good frames and will vary depending on which particular Eiger you have. The standard Eiger had double butted main tubes, while the Comp and Team variants had butted stays and higher spec components.

It may still have the original steel seat-post which could be fun removing.
It'll be good to see what this one looks like Rich...

Back