Lazy, or just plain thick?

We_are_Stevo

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I've just fitted some 8-speed XT STi brakes/shifters to the Kili Comp; tried to be clever by swapping the little plastic segment thingies in the levers around to suit the canti's already fitted but it didn't work, in fact it broke so now the floppy swivelly bit the cable nipple hooks into will only sit at the top of its slot... :facepalm:

The lazy bit is it's late, I've just worked a 13 1/4 hour day with an hours travelling either end, I've only just had my 'dinner' and I need to get some kip soon as I have to be up at ten past six to do it all again and I can't be arsed to find a torch, go out to the gazebo and check the model number of my levers, so...

...are they V-brake levers, and if they are what is the braking going to be like with canti's? I know they don't work for sh*t if it's the other way round (canti' levers pulling V's) but is it true for V-levers pulling canti's?

Or should I just swap the fork braces around and fit the XT V's I have from my Explosif prior to going disk?

My brain hurts! :roll:

I had V brake lever/shifters and M732 cantis, it was a both feet down
job. I put M095 levers on the brakes are pretty good.
I would put the Vs on, maybe, probably.

V levers will pull lots more cable but with much less mechanical advantage so braking will be a bit feeble

taffy":80a5vzo9 said:
V levers will pull lots more cable but with much less mechanical advantage so braking will be a bit feeble

I always think it was t'other way round... :facepalm:

v levers and cantis feel 'solid', no actual braking taking place, just lots of lever grabbing and frantic efforts to slow down by other means.

As above, V-brake levers pull more cable with less force. 8spd STIs for cantis were M738 and have "SLR PLUS" above the XT:

$%28KGrHqR,!oIFD8m3td8PBRp5!LneNg~~60_57.JPG

Just got home; been out and checked and they are ST- M738...

...were there V versions or are they actually canti's?

B*gger! Just Googled my own answer and realised that the reason I have the XT V's is because I bought the whole group set some time ago for a bargain price - tempered by the fact the rear mech is a bit duff!!

V's it is then... :facepalm:

Back