Best chain for a m950 cassette?

dan smith

Retro Guru
Only a couple of bits left before my summer build is complete! One of them is the chain.

Its a 8 speed m950 setup, the cassette has almost no wear what so ever so i should have no issue with a new chain.

I'm looking at either a Shimano Dura-Ace/XTR 7701 (9speed) or a SRAM PC870 8 Speed.

I believe they weigh almost the same and it wont see heavy use so the main factors are easy of fitting and compatibly.

I appreciate peoples thoughts and / or recommendations.

Thanks

I would go for the Sram item as it's an 8 speed chain on an 8 speed system, 9 speed chains are a bit narrower I believe.

My concern with the Sram was that it might not work as well with the shimano drive.

If no one thinks this is a problem then I will go for the sram :)

I have used SRAM PC870 on my Orange and Proflex and they both shift superbly.The reason I chose SRAM is they come as standard with a removeable chain link which makes chain cleaning a doddle,just remove chain,soak,re-lube and replace.

I've got the exact same cassette which I bought NOS and fitted to my STS last week.

I'm running it with a SRAM PC850 8spd chain which I think was about 9 quid from Chain Reaction, and it's running perfectly. It came with a Powerlink too, so fitting it was about as easy as it gets :D

Chains are completely interchangeable for the same width. Shimano ones are really smooth and quiet but have pitifully short lives. SRAM every time for me.

Back