M950 Shifter Service

Aluminium Ohhh

Retro Guru
Hi

I bought a pair of M950 9 speed shifters from ebay at great expense as they were hardly used and still boxed
I have fitted them to a M952 rear mech and can only select 4 or 5 gears and the operation is not at all positive
I have opened up the shifter cases and had a poke around not really knowing what I'm doing, I move the ratchet gear wheel around a bit, the teeth are generally evenly spaced and then it gets to one large tooth, I cant see how to set these up properly
can someone please point me in the direction of instructions of how to get these working

cheers

Hi there,

First things first, M950 shifters are 8 speed so you're probably minus less gears than you believe.

Next thing a squirt of GT-85 may free up your shifters; the grease has probably hardened due to lack of use.

Hi

Not wishing to state the obvious but did you make sure the shifter was in its highest gear position when you fitted the cable ?
just a thought :)

cheers Paul

The instructions should be in the box.

Assuming they click through all gears (7 clicks in all from one end) in both directions then they should be fine.
Keep Pressing the small shifter until it stops, you're now in small cog. Turn the barrel out a few turns.
Wire it up in small cog at the back.

Test shift through the gears and tweak at the back as needed.
Then go out riding and tweak as you ride using the front barrel if you need to, you'll only be moving fractions of a turn.

Gentlemen, thank you all for your advice
Firstly I cant believe my schoolboy error thinking these were 9 speed, will plead temporary insanity theye are of course 8 speed :oops:

The grease appears OK still very fluid, but I will give the GT85 a go tonight, give a good flush out and if still not working I will post some photos

Thanks Again

I think I will be back :roll:

This was playing on my mind so went home lunchtime via Halfords for some GT85
Removed cover and sprayed very liberally whilst operating shifters and what do you know 8 speed lovleyness, its actually shifting all 9 gears but needs adjusting as jumping off top cog and bumping on bottom so may end up as 8

Thank you all especially Cornholios - the presence and appearance of grease can be deceptive

Should I continue to use GT85 regularly or should I now use a lubricant/grease and if so what works best for shifters?

Back