How's your LBS doing?

gaf16

Senior Retro Guru
i know we have a couple of lbs owners on the site and i was wondering how they are finding business at present?

i only ask because the guy at my local lbs seems to be having a 'mare'.

he's been trading for years and, back in the day, i brought most of my kuwahara, skyway and se racing bmx's from him.

during the start of mtb's, he sold a top selection of quality bikes.

however, these days he imports half decent bikes from spain in a vain attempt to compete with the likes of argos, halfords and aldi of all places.

every time i go in he seems to repairing cheapo bikes from the above stores with crappy group sets and dodgy quality frames.

very sad really, as the guy is a quality bike mechanic and is my last hope when my feeble attempts at bike building go wrong.

i try to put as much business his way as i can.

to be honest, it looks only a matter of time before his sales fall away to the point where he shuts up shop.

i for one will be very sad when that day arrives.

in my opinion, the local lbs is a valuable institution.

xtreme in holmefirth went the same way top bikes early on then mostly repair work after the foot and mouth out break

dude,

there's no foot and mouth in the west midlands.
the smog killed all the cattle at the start of the industrial revolution.
not seen any since ;)

the like of CRC are killing lbs .

shame really ,

I think very few shops make a living with MTB , what they need is a strong road clientele .

cchris2lou":2v3tfbg1 said:
the like of CRC are killing lbs .

shame really ,

I think very few shops make a living with MTB , what they need is a strong road clientele .
Roadies are just as bad for wanting discounts. The cycling weekly with Parker Internationals/etc adverts in the back has often been the LBS guide for what prices they can stick on components.

1 near me has closed that used to sell top end kit but most are still going... i think since the net people are put in a difficult situation with probably wanting to support the lbs but the prices of CRC etc... are just to good not to buy from and then they offer free next post?! its difficult to compete against that.... i even got my last wheelset from them - came next day and very good quality build etc... for £128.... i want another set built up and went to lbs - wanted £48 for the spokes!! just cant justify using them at that price as with rims, build costs it was coming to over £120 for a pair and that was using my own hubs!! i do like to support my local shops but for some things my bank prefers online shopping - plus i dont have to cycle anywer to get it! hahaha

We try to be as reasonable as possible, and if people ask, will try to get close to mail order prices, we can in many cases beat them!

We have a full time workshop manned by 2 very experienced and qualified techs.

We have to charge the proper RRP for things as we have a large shop, with staff to pay who also have mouths to feed at home, I for one have two kids aged 4 & 6 and a wife too, they don't come cheap!

We at present are doing very very well, the road side is seeing massive increases as are hybrid sales, MTB is slowing a little, but we have taken on big new brands (at huge expense!) to try to entice people in.

At the end of the day, you have to speculate to accumulate, sounds corny, but it's true, If people come into the shop they expect to be able to see kit, touch it, buy it and head of home with it same day. That is the only way to beat the likes of CRC etc.

It dosn't help when major distributors give awards to the mail order giants for selling huge number of discounted items, and then moan at you because you are not hitting your target! Why bother! when they sell something at £75 that should retail at £100!

We are forever getting people in the shop who have gought kit mail order, only to hae been sent the wrong item, either their fault or suppliers! only to have to sort it out for them. The customers are always dead chuffed when we sort it for them and act as a go-between, and it gives us a good name, and a good feeling too!

Right, rant over' i'm off out for a ride!

Latest posts

Back