90's straight bars

NeilM

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I am starting to gather parts ready to build up my Dave Lloyd CATS..... At the moment I am pondering bars and stems and could do with a memory jog of what was the top notch kit back in the early 90's.

I have a couple of pairs of Ritchey bars, these were fitted to one of the original bikes I have managed to find a spec on, but I'm just wondering what else I could lay my hands on.

Pace RC130, X-Lite titanium and alloy...... what else?

mtbdave":2d4jpwoi said:
You going in a uk build direction?

Possibly, but as I've been doing that since 94, I thought it might just go with nice quality parts, as that's how the bikes were usually built BITD.

I have two spec.s for the CATS. One is XTR with a LLoyd stem and I can't remember the bar, the other is an allsorts, with a USE seatpost, Ritchey bars and stem Control Stix bar ends, Mavic headset, Ritchey Logic crankset...... So really I think I can do whatever I want, and not really detract from the build. I already have some X-Lite stubbie bar ends, so it's really bars, stem and seatpost I am currently looking at.

Syncros could be nice, if I could find it at a decent price.

Answer, yes, I'd forgotten about them.

I picked up some Tioga 'Tange Prestige' Black Straight Bars from ebay very nice bars, not high end but very nice, they were from one of the Bankrupt Cycle outlets :D

i have some black true temper ones with white logos.
also some black early syncros ones but there already needed on a build.

I've seen them Jussa, but thought that Tange Prestige would seem to indicate steel tube, is that right?

Are they light?

mtbdave; I haven't decide on colour scheme yet; the frame is going to be silver, and the detailing work will be black, so I could go either with black stem and bars or silver or black stem and silver bars or vice versa.... I've got to go and sit down now, as I'm getting dizzy ;)

not sure where in the 90's we are talking, but i talk early 90's
Bars (ALU)
Syncros superlight?
USE
Pace/renthal Sub130's
Answer hyperlight
Ritchey prolite/prolite wcs
Tioga carbo?
Controltech (don't remember seeing any over here bits)
Race face 150?

/ not sure on exact name.

Try bike pro and mombats timeline for exotic and more common us sold models.

There where of course Ti version from a lot of them and plenty of bike company like bontrager, Klein, Scott, spesh... And other OEM styles that where light if not classed as high end.

Brilliant.

Thanks everyone, that looks like it.

As I said, I have Ritchey Pro-Lite's in black and silver, so I now have a list to keep an eye open for, although the RC130's and X-Lite bars seem to command prices way above what I feel they are worth, the power of supply and demand I guess.

Back