Really stuck BB in Dynatech Diablo frame - fail !

trek_y

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hi, I'm trying to get an old knackered square taper BB out of my Diablo frame and its really really stuck in there. Have already tried the method of bolting the BB tool in and using a decent long ring spanner and applying a good amount of force as much as I dare which didn't budge it at all.
I've been trying to get some WD40 in but the BB is up tight against the shell so doubt any is really getting in there - if I squirt a good measure down the seat tube will that reach the BB and will it do any good ?
And wondering just how much force I can apply as the Diablo is one of the bonded / lugged frames and scared that too much welly will basically rip the BB shell away from the glued in tubes !
I would try heating it up but seeing as these frames are such a mix match of metals then don't know if that will help or harm ?
Any advice would be very appreciated.

Is it a cartridge type? I had one well stuck recently, bolted the tool on and used a 6ft pipe over the spanner for leverage, frame on the (padded) ground.

If you have a bench vice then bolt the tool on and mount the tool in the vice, and turn the frame.

For fixed cup BBs then use sheldon's bolt method.

umm withought sounding obvious, if its the right hand cup thats stuck (the one behind the chainset) you know thats a l/h thread? you turn it clockwise to undo.
besides that is it the cup with 16mm flats like the older ones or the bigger 32mm flate? i have a tool for the 16mm ones i can post to you.

I've used LGF's method of BB removal worked a treat,

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... sc&start=0

i used a long piece of bar, brute force and some assistance from my wonderful assistant (Usually a very patient wife ;) )

And making sure i was going the correct way, despite doing it many times before i always question the direction lol,

Jussa :D

Thanks for the replies.
Yes it's a cartridge type and I know the drive side thread is LH although knowing Raleigh they probably had the work experience kid in on the day mine was made and the BB shell thread was put on backwards.
I'm going to try some leverage then with a length of pipe, wait for the resounding crack and hope its the BB coming unstuck rather than the frame ! :shock:

trek_y":1fs7i7zj said:
Thanks for the replies.
Yes it's a cartridge type and I know the drive side thread is LH although knowing Raleigh they probably had the work experience kid in on the day mine was made and the BB shell thread was put on backwards.
I'm going to try some leverage then with a length of pipe, wait for the resounding crack and hope its the BB coming unstuck rather than the frame ! :shock:

Please let us know how it goes :) I wont sleep otherwise

(Another proud owner of a Dynatech Diablo) :D

Will neither side come out ?

If one does and it's the older loose cup both sides style and not the integrated into the main body style then whack the 'cartridge' out of the frame with a big mallet/ large area hammer. should take some of the pressure off the cup and then try clamping the tools down and or just cutting through it with a saw blade (junior normally easiest) and prying, turning it out.)

Use a vice.
I had a Raleigh last week with a stuck cup, even my 24" adjustable wouldn't move it. I put it in the vice and it moved straight away!

Take it a bit easy on the frame/leverage - my MT4 now has a split about 20cm along the length of the chainstay.

If you're going to cut it out you'll need something pretty heavy duty - you'd be amazed how solid some of those shells are!

Good luck!

I had to use LGF's method at the weekend. But with a gentle application of heat too :-( came out in the end though.

Latest posts

Back