What is this - pace chainring adapter????

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I bought this out of curiosity as I'd never seen anything like it before. Was told it is a pace chainring/set adapter but if so, what on earth for and how does it work?

Any thoughts, ideas, claims, stories or even evidence gratefully received.

Ian

if it's what i think you're talking about, it's to fit standard chainrings to some old STX cranks

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
grr you out bid me for curiosity sakes!!!

:twisted:

Just jesting, its the same reason I was bidding

But wouldn't it be more cost effective just to have bought a new chainset BiTD ? STX wasn't an expensive set. PACE stuff always was.

I know similar things where made to drop to MD or CD size ring and where a chainset used spacers for the granny, the adaptor could fit in. But they usually dropped from the 74BCD diameter which this isn't.
No idea if PACE made anything for them.

From what I gather the stx crankset of thetime was remarkably light and strong in comparison to other contemporary options. This adaptor just made it more useful allowing standard aluminium chainrings to be used.

JeRkY":19mirmnw said:
From what I gather the stx crankset of thetime was remarkably light and strong in comparison to other contemporary options. This adaptor just made it more useful allowing standard aluminium chainrings to be used.

Same as the LX though which had all the fittings. given you had to by some rings anyway it just seems a solution to a problem that would just patch it. That and you'll gather mud increase the weight etc.
Nothing against it, but I'd have just looked for some LX/XT possibly second hand from a mate or shop (as tinternet buy/sell was not established).

I understand it was an often spec chainset as it was Shimano's lowers true MTB setup and found on ~£500 bikes

i had one i acquired as part of a complete used chainset

unfortunately thr threads on the cranks were made of cheese and struggled to support the chainrings, ripping out fairly quickly.

Cheers for the info, seems it does what it said on the tin. I may have to get some of these cranks, just to see them in action, unless anyone has any pics.

When I get a garage with a worktop in it, this will be my coaster.

FluffyChicken":3t231naj said:
Same as the LX though which had all the fittings. given you had to by some rings anyway it just seems a solution to a problem that would just patch it. That and you'll gather mud increase the weight etc.
Nothing against it, but I'd have just looked for some LX/XT possibly second hand from a mate or shop (as tinternet buy/sell was not established).

You have missed one deeply important thing...

P1010283.JPG

... it was available in purple.

Back