Ridgeback Merlin Ti

richmog08

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Was looking through some online catalogues and came across a Ridgeback catalogue from 1990. I was surprised to see a Ridgeback badged Merlin Ti with full xt, Tange Switchblades and Madison carbon bars. I was wondering to myself how much this would have cost in 1990 and how many are still in existance. Really nice looking bike and the 704xt didn't look half bad too, wouldn't mind one of them.
http://www.mtb-kataloge.de/Bikekataloge ... ck1990.pdf

It would be possible.
The first Kona heiHei were Merlin titanium frame too and the front titanium triangle of 1990 Mongoose was welded buy Merlin (the stays were in cro-mo).
Merlin stopped to weld and work for other brand around 1990-1991. The last part they made for other were lugs for the Specialized Epic Ultimate and… the Tomac's first raleigh.

richmog08":knn6vpzj said:
Was looking through some online catalogues and came across a Ridgeback catalogue from 1990. I was surprised to see a Ridgeback badged Merlin Ti with full xt, Tange Switchblades and Madison carbon bars. I was wondering to myself how much this would have cost in 1990 and how many are still in existance. Really nice looking bike and the 704xt didn't look half bad too, wouldn't mind one of them.

The Ridgeback Merlin Titanium was unobtainium for most of us bitd... even the ridgeback/madison/cycleland guys didn't have them as race bikes.
It was the 704XT that did it for me. My mate had one... it was the schnutts. :cool: Been on my 'wishlist' for sometime now. I reckon I don't need anymore bikes right now, but if one of these came up in the right size...I'd be in there like a shot! :D

Cheers,
boy"O"boy

Attachments

• Ridgeback1990-704LX.jpg
    Ridgeback1990-704LX.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 1,844
  • Ridgeback1990-703DX.jpg
    Ridgeback1990-703DX.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 1,844
Yes, the very first non-production models were put together by Merlin and raced by Joe Murray in 86/87. They were badged as Marin on the top tube.

The actual deal went to Litespeed as they could keep within Marin's budget, I believe.

They remain as my unicorn.

Merlin Ti

The Merlin Titanium was the 1990 top of the range from Ridgeback costing £2000 if I remember correctly - and way out of my reach.
I saved up for what seemed a lifetime to buy a 1990 17.5" Ridgeback 700 in black and pink. It was my first 'proper' mountain bike. I loved it at the time and rode the weels off it. Replaced it 2 years later with a GT Karakoram, now that was a proper mountain bike! :twisted:

Does anyone think that some of the main brands top end bikes from bitd might be some of the rarer bikes around? I'm thinking that any one with that sort of cash to spend would chuck it in another direction.

Ever since I found retro bike I've been on the look out for a 1990 Marin Team (Zolatone, pink bits) but have had no luck just like Ben with his Ridgeback. Seen one or two about but never for sale. Lovely things like Yo Eddy's come up far more often!

Back