Mystery Bike

kaya

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Well I thought I'd have a cheeky bid at this http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=164168 that I'd noticed on the ebay, thinking I could use some of the components for other projects.

So reading the comments I sort of agreed it was probable a muddy fox, but at the price I'd payed it still looked worth it. Well I picked it up last nite
an I'm pretty sure its not a muddy fox as it had a riveted on head badge and was welded instead of being lugged.

So this is were your help comes in ;) the frame seams a bit crude but theres some nice components and most things seam original to the bike.

I would think its early to mid eighty's, there is a serial No K41 184 this is how its stamped under the bb shell.

Heres some pics to give you some help

Picture141.jpg

This is my Kili Flyer next to it
Picture142.jpg

Head tube with Campy head set
Picture136.jpg

Seat post and cable holder
Picture137.jpg

Dropouts and rear mech
Picture131.jpg

None drive slidey drop out
Picture128.jpg

Down tube cable stop
Picture134.jpg

Shifter and Leaver
Picture125.jpg

Front mech and crankset
Picture133.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help kaya

Nice one Vern! Looking forward to the freshend up pics!

I bet it was bought abroad on the crest of the early 'atb' craze

looks around 1983/84

no mech hanger though and the frame quality looks a little lower down the food chain.

that Miyata is not even close! Fast back stays, mech hanger, different cable guides...

no cigar.

Frame quality is...... rustic shall we say and the weight says its certainly not 531.

Some things on the frame don't make sense, Like the rear cable stop and the down tube cable stop.
The down tube stops are screwed on and made from alloy and the rear cable stop looks like its mass produced.

Defo don't think its a Miyata, will have to have a look for date stamps on the components.

Thanks for the help so far ;)

Edit:- The components date from 82-84 that would make the bike 84/85 by my thinking.

try the right thread,

my guess is a claud butler as it has the same reflector thing as wireds,frame isnt exact though

or maybe an early dawes,

havent a clue really though :roll: :roll:

Attachments

• wired.jpg
    wired.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 1,371
Don't think its a Butler, different rear dropouts, cable stop and fork ;)
The Butler looks better quality, don't think its a Dawes ether.

Keep the suggestions coming :D

As far as I've just gleaned in 2 mins it cannot be claud butler, that one above the Canyon is 1995 and that was there first year of MTB's
http://www.nkilgariff.com/
http://www.nkilgariff.com/CBcats/Cat_85/CB1985_Cat.htm

It uses the newer version II Mountech mechs. This has older components on it dating it older than Claud Butler where producing them.

I can help on what it's not, just no idea what it is, too old for me.
These very old bikes all look the same to me ;)

Someone'll know what the K means in the serial.

Back