AL CARTER mountain bikes

AL Carter were townsend Cycles premium brand, Toped out with a Tange OS tubed frame kitted with DX called the Black Panther, It was my first real bike, It is sitting in the garage at my pairents for the day I have some time.

I remember selling the bike they did with STX SE on it. IIrc the frame was the same dark chrome (Chromica) finish as the components. :cool:

On another note I still have the Al Carter t-shirt that I was given by the rep back then (although it is a bit faded). :LOL:

Al carter madee some nice estay frames as well.....also there was a nice dx equipped standard framed example in my local auction....not long ago but the frame was a grey colour....like them early 80s bmw 3 series :LOL:

TheGreenRabbit":3f5n4dm9 said:
AL Carter were townsend Cycles premium brand,

Is that complimentary or not? Bit like saying 'Lidl's finest food range', or 'Oxfam's least smelly clothes'

They werent bad....and were certainly sold by townsend .
They were good news though, when bought in bulk, they became so inexpensive to buy we would break them down, and use/sell the shimano groupsets, wheels, etc, . Crazy times, when you could buy a complete bike shimano dx/xt equipped, so far below the normal trade price, it was costing far less to buy the bike than it was to buy a groupset at normal trade price.

It was the same when buying Univega"s from the uk distributor E.Reece, in birmingham, Buy up all they had, even the odd sizes, do a deal, break the bikes, and sell off the components, customers were very happy.

My missus has an Al Carter Team Memphis DX on the turbo in the loft.

She never uses it, cos she's a lazy tart!!

al. :D

Back