Chain Tensioner (single speed alert)

letmetalktomark

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Morning folks,

I need to purchase a chain tensioner to complete my single speed commute bike and am looking for ideas.

The front ring will be a biopace, which I’m told, won’t affect chain tension so I shouldn’t need a sprung tensioner – but then if these are better than a non sprung fixed position one?????? :shock:

HELP!
:D :D :D :D :D

for a commuter, i wouldn't think sprung/unsprung would make much difference...in fact a sprung tensioner might make rear wheel service easier.

myself, i singlespeed offroad almost exclusively and have had very bad luck with chain drops due to insufficient tension with a sprung device (a pauls melvin). i switched to a (fixed) rennen rollenganger and have not dropped a chain since (nearly a year).

Hi Mark, ive been at this one gear thang for years and the only tensoiner that worked all the time was a Rohllof device. Dont know what its called though.Or price. But they are very well built and mine has lasted ages.Cheers,Al.

I built my own like this and ran if it for three years with no problems.

tension2.gif

Instructions here...

http://www.geocities.com/mtnwuff/SStens.html

Enjoy!

If you're still wanting a proper tensioner I would go with a surly - I've has a couple on my rides and they still offer best performance for price..

Saying that I used a knackered deore mech for a while too! ;) Been looking at the setup from messiah also - seems a cool idea.

Otherwise get a paul melvin - just cause they look poncey. They are silly money though.

Cheers Mynchiboy,

I had a look at the Surly but was put off by the fact it was sprung (and £30!)

My LBS recommended the On-One other doofer – the one with the orange roller. However it’s a roller rather than a cog???? :shock:

By trying to make my commuter simpler it seems to be making the whole thing more complicated!
:oops: :oops: :oops:

Back