Why don't they or do they?

tintin40

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Klein Fan
Feedback
View
Ever paint ti frames? Raligh did it too some cheap ti frames a long time ago (not aircraft grade ti). I like painted frames. Or does paint have trouble sticking to it?

Raleigh only painted the frames because the cheap titanium they sourced was welded not drawn so had an messy looking weld running longways down the tubes.

I think they don't paint Ti frames because they don't have to. And I suppose that whilst it can't be much, the cost of painting the frames would make an expensive item even more expensive?

Re: Why don't they

tintin40":2hg3wbmc said:
Ever paint ti frames? Raligh did it too some cheap ti frames a long time ago (not aircraft grade ti). I like painted frames. Or does paint have trouble sticking to it?

there were and are painted high-end Ti frames. it's not a matter of the paint sticking or not but more a matter of that it does not make sense to paint Ti... Raleigh also did it with expensive Ti frames in the mid 90s. Serotta comes to mind and Spectrum too.

Carsten

FAT chance offered it as a $200 custom option. nevil did it too, but I've heard that was to camoflage a multiturd of sins...

a friend in uni paint stripped his cheap raleigh ti, found a massive ugly seam down the tubes, so painted it back up again :)

I thought GT's were nickel plated, but could be wrong, there is certainly a consistant finish across the welds

I don't see the point in painting them personally. Its part of the attraction that they don't show battlemarks as much as a painted frame.
Seven do painted finishes if you want. Heres their 10th anni sola
fasola.jpg

Raleigh only painted the frames because the cheap titanium they sourced was welded

This was a common rumour at the time but it wasn't true. Raleigh's Titanium frames were cheaper because they were bonded - the brazing process with Titanium is very, very expensive whereas the material itself is one of the most abundant metals to be found in the Earth.

terryhfs":2u3mli3d said:
the material itself is one of the most abundant metals to be found in the Earth.

But the process of extraction is also extremely expensive.
And lends itself to alluring alliteration.

But the process of extraction is also extremely expensive.
And lends itself to alluring alliteration.[/quote]

plus is it not a nightmare to work with?

One major factor NOT to paint a Ti frame is weight !!!! Believe it or not, paint is quite heavy so why paint something which is inheritantly light, then add weight !!! Makes perfect sense to me :D :D :D

Back