Is this a Ritchey?

Spikes

Retro Guru
This bike is offered as a Ritchey frame, but I have my doubts. It has Ritchey dropouts and the serial numer is: YM 951 20273. Does that lead to a certain brand or type of bike? Cheers ;)

Attachments

• ritchey.jpg
    ritchey.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 1,673
Doesn't look like one

Many American Eagles had Ritchey drop outs ...and about 1001 other frames. My Serotta has them too. I can tell it is also no Serotta ;)

It happens regularly I see brand X advertised as Ritchey. Even when you tell them it isn't, some sellers still stick to it is one :roll:

MOst proper ritcheys have seatstays that join the seattube to form a seatpost clamp rather than having a seperate collar which is the quickest and dirtiest way of telling this isn't a ritchey made frame. That said it could be made of ritchey designed tubing and drop outs. Loads of british bike shops had frames made of this, but the main producer/brand seemed to be Fuji IIRC

I agree with Pete on the seat clamp. Ritcheys use down tuble cable routing as well. Merlin did some frames with Ritchey dropouts, it looks similar to one of them

pete_mcc":5xd1t4yw said:
MOst proper ritcheys have seatstays that join the seattube to form a seatpost clamp rather than having a seperate collar which is the quickest and dirtiest way of telling this isn't a ritchey made frame. That said it could be made of ritchey designed tubing and drop outs. Loads of british bike shops had frames made of this, but the main producer/brand seemed to be Fuji IIRC

How many other producers made seatstays/seatclamp in this way? Or was it just Ritchey?

my old cinelli did as well, and a raleigh of mine. I think loads of older established road companies used it - think it was called a 'fast-back' seatstay

My Dave Yates has the seatclamp built into the stays too, has Ritchey dropouts as well :D

Stu

stu":2dqn1c2o said:
My Dave Yates has the seatclamp built into the stays too, has Ritchey dropouts as well :D

Stu

So the only way to recognise a genuine Ritchey would be from the frame number?

Back