Specialized rockhopper 1998 front derailleur help

benslingsby_

Dirt Disciple
Hi all,
I’ve just bought new Shimano Altus trigger shifters for both front and rear derailleurs. I adjusted the rears just right but the fronts have been a pain. The front derailleur is a shimano alivio. I tried to follow the Park tool demonstration on youtube. I set the low screw followed by the high screw and then turned the barrel adjuster counter clockwise to stop the derailleur moving further over on the largest cog. After doing this however, the chain would not switch from the highest cog (3) down to cog 1. Any advice?
Thanks

Re:

This should be an easy fix. The low and high screws set the limits to how far the derailleur will move (they are 'limit screws'). There was no need to use the barrel adjuster to stop the derailleur moving further outwards from the frame. The purpose of the barrel adjuster on the shifter is to fine tune the cable tension and the cable tension affects the indexing. What you've done by turning that barrel adjuster counter-clockwise is to over-tighten the cable so it's too taut for the derailleur to shift as far as the smallest chain ring. If you turn the barrel adjuster clockwise, till it won't go any further, you might find that the derailleur won't go all the way to the largest chain ring due to there being too much slack in the cable. Somewhere between the two extremes, you should find that happy point where the shifting works as you want. (If turning that barrel adjuster clockwise, all the way in, still doesn't slacken the cable enough for the derailleur to shift all the way in, then you need to loosen the cable from the derailleur enough to add a little more slack.)

That's it really: limit screws for stopping the chain coming off the small and large rings; cable tension for indexing.

Re: Re:

CassidyAce":3n7eobya said:
This should be an easy fix. The low and high screws set the limits to how far the derailleur will move (they are 'limit screws'). There was no need to use the barrel adjuster to stop the derailleur moving further outwards from the frame. The purpose of the barrel adjuster on the shifter is to fine tune the cable tension and the cable tension affects the indexing. What you've done by turning that barrel adjuster counter-clockwise is to over-tighten the cable so it's too taut for the derailleur to shift as far as the smallest chain ring. If you turn the barrel adjuster clockwise, till it won't go any further, you might find that the derailleur won't go all the way to the largest chain ring due to there being too much slack in the cable. Somewhere between the two extremes, you should find that happy point where the shifting works as you want. (If turning that barrel adjuster clockwise, all the way in, still doesn't slacken the cable enough for the derailleur to shift all the way in, then you need to loosen the cable from the derailleur enough to add a little more slack.)

That's it really: limit screws for stopping the chain coming off the small and large rings; cable tension for indexing.

Thanks wo much! Fixed it first time.

Back