Old school headset tool

My headset spanners are chopped out of 5mm steel and one is ground for the lower nut.
No need to grind all the jaw away, just grind so the spanner clears the round bit below
the flats.

ishaw":wsk2epcw said:
I've recently bought a subtle scooter for my youngest son, it has an old style threaded headset. It has been a while since I've used one and I need to tighten it. I no longer have the right spanner for the job, but loathed to buy a tool just for this. Are there any other tools or techniques I can use to tighten it up? No problem on the upper nut, just nothing thin enough to hold the upper race in place while I tighten the top nut.

You need two spanners and they are very, very cheap. It´s not old school.. it´s one in and threaded. It´s as old school as anything not multiple diameters, hidden etc..
Once you buy the spanners you will need to learn how to adjust the headset.

Prodigal Son":rgcu8lzq said:
ishaw":rgcu8lzq said:
I've recently bought a subtle scooter for my youngest son, it has an old style threaded headset. It has been a while since I've used one and I need to tighten it. I no longer have the right spanner for the job, but loathed to buy a tool just for this. Are there any other tools or techniques I can use to tighten it up? No problem on the upper nut, just nothing thin enough to hold the upper race in place while I tighten the top nut.

You need two spanners and they are very, very cheap. It´s not old school.. it´s one in and threaded. It´s as old school as anything not multiple diameters, hidden etc..
Once you buy the spanners you will need to learn how to adjust the headset.

If you'd read my post you've quoted, it indicated I've done this before. Just not in a while. Don't need to be taught how to suck eggs thanks.

If its not old school it should be in the post 97 section, aheadsets have been around since the turn of the 90s, which makes threaded headsets old school in my opinion.

Back