Best V brake pads ??

Re:

I’m using Avid rim wranglers.

Mainly because that’s what the brakes had from new & they’ve always been good, for me, so I stuck with them.

Re:

One more vote for Aztec

BUT...

....compounds changefrom the same manufacturer...beware the hard ones. WTB can be good and come up every now and again. But the principle is ... use a compound which is soft, if you value your rims. And every month or so of hard riding, take off the pads and gouge out the stones etc with a small pick. I'd rather spend on brake pads than wear away my nice antique rims.....

Things are not simple when it comes to hardness of compound and wear to rims. Softer compounds often harbour more aluminium shards, and cause more scoring. Frequent dressing of the pads may be needed, trickier with most v's compared to canti's because the pads don't pivot clear of the fork/frame for easy access.
I liked the older Aztecs, the newer ones not so much. I find Tektro to be very good. Clarks aren't bad, but I've found Shimano to be one of the worst for rim wear.
Whatever you choose, frequent cleaning is the key to good braking and long rim life..

Re:

I agree with the above comments regarding maintenance. I use a GARRYFLEX abrasive block to gently clean rims & pads.

Back