Preserving older tyres; How?

My_Teenage_Self

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
We all love our old tyres, skinwalls, especially, but how the hell do I make sure they'll last as long as possible?

I've got some Autoglym rubber and vinyl care, taht I was tempted to slap on some, but wasn't sure it was a good idea.

Anyone got any hints/tips?

Re:

Not sure about keeping the rubber supple, aside from sensible storage put of warm dry places.

Was once told to use a cost or two of car wax on amber walls to help keep them cleaner for longer.

An idea just popped into my head, leather nourished? No idea if is a good or bad idea, but it works for leather.

There was a thread on here ages ago about rubber 'blooming' etc... you need to keep the oils inside it, I'd say a cool/dry and dark place is best, not warm. Someone did mention about putting them in the oven or something for them to re-absorb the white 'bloom' that needs to stay inside the rubber but for me that's going a bit far and don't want my house smelling like i've done a burn-out in the kitchen lol. Some of the best condition NOS ones i've come across were 25years old had been stored in a zipped-up fabric holdall in someones garage in the UK.

I've heard about putting them in the oven as well, not sure what temperature. Just make sure your significant other is out of the house. For about 6 months if they have a sense of smell, I hear. I've just bought a newly made Panaracer Dart skinwall for my Proflex.

Best things I’ve ever done to my tyres has been the following;

1. Make sure they are super clean, I’ve scrubbed mine in the shower, (I think Longun has a bath with his) & sometimes a cool short wash in the washing machine.
2. Treat them to a 10-20 minute bake at 100 degrees in the oven to re-vitalise the oils (see Reagan’s thread) this looks impressive with bloomed NOS, but Also works well with old tyres.
3. A good going over with Aerospace 303 Protectant to shield them from UV damage.
Ps once you’ve got a bottle of 303 in your tool kit I promise you always will.

Attachments

• AB8CC45D-92EB-491A-AF62-EF58B8738525.jpeg
    AB8CC45D-92EB-491A-AF62-EF58B8738525.jpeg
    112.5 KB · Views: 289
Re:

I keep mine laid flat in a cool dark wine cellar. Some of the early Panaracer and Spesh tyres are still in as new cond, nice and supple, no cracking around the treads etc. Got a sneaking suspicion they made the old tyres better too.

Back