GT Cable Routing & U-Brake fitting

Drewson

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hi all,

I just bought a bike (a Korakoram 92'), which came in parts, and I am in the process of building it up. However, the front mech is top-pull but I can't for the life of me see how the cables route to the mech. The rear brake and both mechs have cable-routing along the bottom of the toptube in a groove and I can understand how the rear mech and brake route but I'm not sure how the top mech routes. How does it take a 90 degree turn to apply the upward pull needed for the mech? There is a clamp which goes around the seattube to aide routing of the cables for the U-Brake but not for the front mech. Any help much appreciated!!

Also, a U-Brake came with the bike but it does not fit the brake bosses on the frame so it must be the wrong U-Brake. Any ideas? I've not dealt with U-Brakes before so I wasn't aware that Shimano made different models for different boss sizes....or am I missing something?

Again, any help greatly appreciated!!

Drew :)

Re:

Ahh, the GT Groove Tube - remember it well from building up my old Bravado :)

There should be two plastic clamps on the seat tube, one for the u brake and another section for the mech cable routing - I've sourced an image below which shows this more clearly.

The U-brake is likely to be okay, if the arms fit on the bosses with no problems? Bear in mind that the cable yoke has to be inside the small triangle area below the top tube and not directly above the brake. The image hopefully shows how the routing works. Hope this sort of makes sense...

Attachments

• Vintage-Gt-All-Terra-Groove-Tube-Chromoly-Steel-_1-2.jpg
    Vintage-Gt-All-Terra-Groove-Tube-Chromoly-Steel-_1-2.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 172
Re:

Ah, thanks mate...now I understand. Unfortunately the little sleeve to direct the cable to the front mech is missing :?

Now that's not gonna be easy to find :roll:

Re: the U-Brake....the arms will not fit on the bosses. Yep, I'll make sure the straddle wire goes inside of the seattube ;)

Back