Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:32 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:10 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

^^
Much as you usually use a die with the open (die-side) onto your shaft first, and the shoulder on the die-stock stops the die pushing out, this is often not the case with a fork die. The "tube" on the steerer die stock in this case should guide the die onto the steerer. QED, you "should" make sure that the die is "upside down", so it leads in properly.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:16 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Every day is a school day :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:15 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Midlife wrote:
Every day is a school day :)

Correct. No shame in not knowing something I've never done before :-)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:16 pm 
Dirt Disciple

elite504 wrote:
^^
Much as you usually use a die with the open (die-side) onto your shaft first, and the shoulder on the die-stock stops the die pushing out, this is often not the case with a fork die. The "tube" on the steerer die stock in this case should guide the die onto the steerer. QED, you "should" make sure that the die is "upside down", so it leads in properly.

Thank you. That's part of what I missed and didn't know.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:26 am 
Dirt Disciple

Well here is an update on the VAR fork threading tool. I gave it a try using all the advice you all gave me and I was able to thread part of the fork steerer. This fork is too long and will have to be cut so even if the thread is not perfect It will have to be cut. All went well once I got the hang of it. The problem is when I try to thread the headset nut on the newly cut thread it feels loose and wobbles a bit from side to side. Not sure if this is normal or if the thread is not cut correctly. Maybe it is cut too deep, or too narrow? Is there a way to check that? Maybe the spacing on the die is not set correctly? Let me know what your think. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:26 am 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

Sounds like the tool has a cut a little too deep, this could’ve avoided if you had the correct adjusting grub screw which would open out the die. It should still work though as a locking nut should still be able to stop the threaded top cup from coming lose. You could also try wrapping around/packing out the thread with PTFE plumbers tape.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:52 am 
Dirt Disciple

Yes, I don't have the correct grub screw unfortunately.... I may return it and look for a new fork threading tool.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:05 am 
Retro Guru

buy the correct grub screw! it'll be cheaper than the post to send the whole thing back.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:08 am 
Dirt Disciple

I would but I have no idea what the correct one is or where to one!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:24 am 
Retro Guru

Just maybe you should have done some homework before starting on this venture, like how to cut threads and what and how to set the split die to obtain the correct size thread diameter!

so going forward you will need the diameter of the current grub screw and the Thread pitch, now search for a cone point set screw (grub) like these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CONE-POINT-G ... 1118702618

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next