I think I've been infected

Oldskool13

Old School Hero
I took some garden rubbish down to the tip and noticed a frame someone had left there, it was Dawes Mojave. It was missing the wheels, brakes and gears but seemed in fairly good condition. I gave myself a good talking to and walked away, however it started me thinking about another project and I found myself looking online. :facepalm:
Now I've found a Raleigh North Cape just down the road from me. The question is, is it worth saving and do I go and look at it or do stop now before this gets out of hand.? :shock:

Re:

Too late, you've got the curse! :facepalm: :LOL:

Raleigh's are not usually worth much but it's always fun to tinker with old bikes so it depends what you want it for and if it's going to cost much. Plenty of ace bikes about for very little money.

Oh dear I do have the curse! I've just found a Raleigh Max Ogre needing TLC for £5 which is an ok-ish bike but heavy. Please, someone talk me out of it. Is there a support group?

Re:

?

Rush back to the tip, get the Dawes, then buy the Raleigh online. Spend endless evenings swapping bits to get one superb bike. Then spend more endless evenings building the other bike with other bits accumulated from the tip. Then spend every weekend upgrading said bike to be more superior than your first superb build.

Re:

...or, spend lots of time buying and fixing and modifying bikes to the point where:

1. they fill every spare space you have,
2. you need to sell something as you've overspent, but:
3. there's never enough time so time you might spend riding is instead spent fettling, which:
4. is nevertheless quite enjoyable but,
5. still not enough time, so
6. you end up with a load of increasingly nice bikes and parts, but,
7. most of them don't actually work, so,
8. you vow, in an endless cycle (hah!) to reduce the fleet and end up selling the good ones because they're the ones that will sell, but,
9. then you spot a total bargain on ebay that you just can't pass up and you get it home and its lovely but it has a couple of minor problems that just need a couple of hours of work and a bit if time on retrobike or ebay to source replacement parts, but
10. you don't have the time to fit the parts and in the meantime something's gone on your daily rider (or more often on your wife's bike!) which takes priority, so,
11. the almost working newly acquired bike sits unfinished in the shed/loft/bathroom with the others while the newly acquired parts for it go in the shed drawer with the others where you find them 2 years later and try and remember which frame they were meant for and then realise you sold that frame 6 months ago............

Re: Re:

jaypee":27kpf0by said:
...or, spend lots of time buying and fixing and modifying bikes to the point where:

3. there's never enough time so time you might spend riding is instead spent fettling, which:
8. you vow, in an endless cycle (hah!) to reduce the fleet and end up selling the good ones because they're the ones that will sell, but,
9. then you spot a total bargain on ebay that you just can't pass up and you get it home and its lovely but it has a couple of minor problems that just need a couple of hours of work and a bit if time on retrobike or ebay to source replacement parts, but
10. you don't have the time to fit the parts and in the meantime something's gone on your daily rider (or more often on your wife's bike!) which takes priority, so,
11. the almost working newly acquired bike sits unfinished in the shed/loft/bathroom with the others while the newly acquired parts for it go in the shed drawer with the others where you find them 2 years later and try and remember which frame they were meant for and then realise you sold that frame 6 months ago............

Nailed it! :LOL:

Re: Re:

brocklanders023":33gd6pv6 said:
jaypee":33gd6pv6 said:

Nailed it! :LOL:

Top tip is to have "Build Boxes" with an Excel sheet spec list to refer back too. The "Parts Bin" is something entirely different of course. Sorted on a strict pecking order from NOS/NIB all the way down to any old shit for the short distance errand bike.

Admittedly when you have more than four build boxes on the go for existing and non-existing framesets, then start upgrading them, you do ask yourself if it would be best to get out more.

Back