Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:47 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: Raleigh bomber
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:28 pm 

Hi guys, long time lurker and finally joined up. I got a raleigh bomber frame yesterday and looking to turn it into a cruiser to cycle round town, go shopping/ to the pub. I'm not super experienced with assembling bikes (still learning) but I was just about a few things, namely parts compatibility. Can I slap regular 26 inch wheels on it? I know Raleigh has done some strange sizing over the years. And are the hub/axle sizes the same or different from 'regular' 26 inch MTB wheels? I havent really had time to spend with it and I don't think I will do until the end of the week but would really like to get some parts so I can hit the ground running this weekend instead of it sitting in my basement and taking longer to build.

Any guidance with the wheels and general Raleigh Bomber advice would be great, thanks.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:49 pm 
Old School Grand Master

I think you'll be OK-ish wheel-wise, standard axle diameters, but you may need to check the width between the dropouts though, the Bomber originally had a 3 speed Sturmey Archer hub gear, which has a spacing of 114mm, whereas a mountain bike wheel is 135mm.

However, given that it's a steel frame, you can bend the frame to fit a wider hub: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html

Raleigh did use some odd threads and bottom bracket sizes on some bikes, so you'll need to check that too.

Some links you may find interesting:

https://deadrats.co.uk/2012/11/26/ralei ... -part-one/

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=231787

Post subject: Re: Raleigh bomber
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:45 pm 
King of the Skip Monkeys
King of the Skip Monkeys

Older MTB wheels come in at 130mm rear spacing but as the 'Bomber' was always a gash rehash of a 3 spd town bike, 3spd Sturmey Archer wheels would be best.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:17 am 
Retro Guru

Location: I know where the stash is – the secret's safe with me. The flying squad will never find us...
Alternatively, go to "Raleigh Bomber Vintage Cycles" or "Raleigh Bomber Fan Group" on Facebook.